SAS Student FAQs

Academics FAQs

Where is the Student Access Services office located?

The SAS office is located at the Student Academic Hub (Main Campus, Rowley Hall, Room 1005).

Does Student Access Services provide assessment or diagnosis of disabilities?

No, Student Access Services does not provide assessments or diagnoses of learning disabilities or any other disability.

How do I register with SAS and request accommodations?

Please click here for a step-by-step guide to this process.

Will my instructor be notified if I have accommodations?

Generally, it is the student’s responsibility to inform faculty members regarding approved accommodations. MU instructors are unable to provide disability accommodations without an official letter, known as the “Faculty Contact Sheet” or “FCS” from Student Access Services. Please click here for more information about activating accommodations.

How much individual attention will I receive as a student with a disability?

As a Marymount University student, you can expect to receive the same level of services and attention as non-disabled students, with the exception of disability-based accommodations.  The “mainstreamed” environment may be different from what you are accustomed to, particularly if you are coming from a special education program in high school or special class at community college.

Are there special classes for students with disabilities at MU?

Unlike high schools and community colleges, MU does not offer special classes for students with disabilities.  It is expected that incoming MU students are academically prepared to pursue university studies.

Where do students with disabilities obtain help with study skills, meeting deadlines, and making course selections?

A network of services is available to all students on campus, including those with disabilities. The Student Academic Hub’s academic coaches provide assistance with study skills, and each student is assigned to an academic advisor to assist with course selection.  As an enrolled student, you are responsible for being aware of, and following, all policies and rules at Marymount, including observing deadlines.

Is tutoring available to students with disabilities?

The Student Academic Hub provides all students with access to academic tutors and writing development specialists. Tutoring hours and schedules are made available to students with disabilities, to the same extent that they are available to students without disabilities. (Tutoring may not be available for some upper-level courses).

Additionally, the Student Academic Hub offers workshops and academic coaching to students who are interested in improving their organizational and study skills.

At times, an accommodation may be needed in order to facilitate a help session and ensure equal access to services (i.e., accessible meeting location, sign language interpreters).

Should a student with a disability take a certain number of credits per semester? Is it a good idea for them to forego condensed summer courses?

Students should work with their academic advisor to determine course load and academic schedule.

Are students with disabilities provided enrollment assistance?

Students who cannot navigate the online registration system, due to disability, may be provided with direct assistance as an accommodation. All requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.

What do I need to do each semester to continue receiving accommodations?

If there are no changes to your accommodations, simply contact Student Access Services ( or (703) 284-1538) and request an updated Faculty Contact Sheet.

If you are interested in changes to your approved accommodations, schedule a meeting with Student Access Services through Starfish (accessed via “Sign On Links” in the Portal)

Student Life FAQs

I have a state-issued disability parking placard/pass/plate. How do I locate accessible parking spaces on Marymount campuses?

If you only require information on parking, contact Parking Services (703-908-7671, or Campus Security (703-284-1600).

What housing and/or dining accommodations are available at MU for students with disabilities?

For students with physical disabilities who reside on campus, reasonable environmental or architectural adjustments can be made to their living spaces by MU. These adjustments may include, but are not limited to: reducing door tension, lofting beds, etc. If available, single room assignments may be granted to students when no other available accommodation is deemed reasonable by SAS. Requests will not be considered until the student has registered with Student Access Services and submitted the appropriate materials.

The specific housing accommodations that can be granted are contingent upon the availability of space and resources, as well as a thorough assessment of alternative accommodation options. SAS will discuss these options with the student and recommend methods that can reduce or eliminate their disability-related barriers (i.e., earplugs for noise sensitivity, headphones for distractibility, staff-assisted roommate negotiations for atypical sleeping patterns). Please click here for more information about housing accommodations.

MU offers a large variety of meal choices, including a refrigerator in the Gerard Dining Hall (next to the cashier) that contains gluten-free options.

Admissions FAQs

Can I visit the SAS office if I am not currently a Marymount student?

Yes, if you would like to meet with a staff member from the SAS office please contact us directly to schedule an appointment at or (703) 284-1538.

We encourage you to plan a campus visit (Click here to schedule a visit). Our beautiful campus is situated on grassy hills and some routes are more wheelchair-friendly than others. If you use a wheelchair or have difficulty ambulating, please alert the Admissions staff in advance of your visit.

How many students with disabilities are enrolled at Marymount?

It’s difficult to estimate how many Marymount students have disabilities because in college, students are not required to disclose a disability unless they would like to receive accommodations on the basis of a disability.

The total number of enrolled students who are registered with Student Access Services ranges from 150-200 in any given semester. Only about 4% of those students have physical disabilities that would be apparent to an observer. As with most colleges, MU’s population of students with disabilities primarily fall into the ADHD and Learning Disability categories (~75%). About 20% have psychological disabilities (such as Generalized Anxiety Disorder or Major Depression). 8-9% have an Autism Spectrum Disorder. These percentages do not equal 100% because some students fall into multiple disability categories.

Athletics FAQs

Will I be able to participate in athletics at Marymount if I have a disability?

Each coach makes a decision based upon program needs and abilities of prospective student-athletes. Students who are interested in participating should contact the head coach of the sport they are interested in participating in. If you have any more questions, please contact the Director of Athletics via email or phone.