A vibrant and inclusive academic center that values and supports collaborations and engagements that have the goal to advance optimal aging for all.
The mission of the Marymount University Center for Optimal Aging (MUCOA) is to drive and advance gerontological innovations, discoveries, and solutions to promote a meaningful, enriching, and dignifying life for all. The Center fosters innovative academic-community partnerships by connecting interdisciplinary teams of scientists, professionals, trainees, students, and stakeholders to properly address the needs and quality of life of our older adult population. The Center for Optimal Aging serves as a central hub for gerontological research, education, practice, service, advocacy, and leadership.
The Center for Optimal Aging is designed to be inclusive and diverse and will support:
- Resources for establishing, assessing, and evaluating evidence-based, health-promoting programs.
- Partners in community initiatives toward optimal and age-friendly communities.
- Resources and clearinghouse for student internships, research trainees, and service-learning that is older adult-serving.
- Advocacy for health and social policies supporting older adults.
- Systems to foster innovative interdisciplinary aging-related research.
- Resources for intergenerational activities.
- Structure for success with grants and foundation initiatives associated with older adults’ health and wellbeing.
Our research interests include a wide range of topics, including:
- Brain and environmental health
- Health promotion, physical activity, and wellness
- Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- Caregiver and care partner
- Social determinants of health
- Falls risks and prevention
- Age-friendly communities and community health
- Aging workforce
- Cybersecurity and artificial intelligence
- Assistive technologies
- Evidence-based practice and translation
MARYMOUNT CENTER FOR OPTIMAL AGING CORE AREAS
Marymount Center for Optimal Aging Framework
The Marymount Center for Optimal Aging works closely and collaboratively with the Marymount University Colleges and Centers to build infrastructure, resources, and best practices to advance the Center’s mission.