Housing Accommodations

Housing Accommodation Overview

Accessible housing is available to students at Marymount who have disabilities that substantially impact one or more major life activities as they relate to housing.  The purpose of housing accommodations is to address aspects of residential life that are inaccessible in relation to a student’s disability.  Examples of housing accommodations include, but are not limited to:

  • Close elevator access
  • Ground-floor room location
  • ADA accessible bedrooms and private restrooms
  • Bathroom modifications (grab bars, roll-in shower, lower sink)
  • Room large enough to support a Personal Care Assistant
  • Allergen-related modifications such as air-conditioners, air-filtration and carpet-free rooms
  • Private or semi-private bathrooms
  • Strobe alarms in the room
  • Room located in a quieter area away from most thoroughfares

SAS Relationship with Residential Life and Housing Office (RLHO)

  • SAS works closely with the Residential Life and Housing Office (RLHO) staff members to identify suitable and available alternative housing solutions whenever possible.
  • SAS responds to student requests for accommodations by partnering with students to determine appropriate accommodations.
  • RLHO implements student accommodations authorized by SAS.
  • RLHO may ask for additional information in order to put the accommodation in place.
    • For example, in the case of an Emotional Support Animal, evidence of a shot record could be required.
    • For example, in the case of a Personal Care Attendant, that person would need to obtain and submit a copy of a background investigation conducted by the personal care attendant’s employing agency; or in the event the background investigation report does not meet these requirements or in the event of a private employment relationship between the PCA and the student, Marymount University will conduct such a background investigation, before being able join the campus residential community.

3 Steps in Accommodation Application

1)  Contact Admissions to:

  • Acquire your “Student ID” number and “Student email” address.
  • SAS cannot move forward in the accommodations process until you are registered as a Marymount student. Students need to have been accepted, and have taken steps to enroll in courses as a student at Marymount.

2)  Contact Residential Life and Housing office to:

  • Complete housing application that requests your housing preferences (e.g., location, building, suite-room arrangement).  You may simultaneously contact Student Access Services, in order to request disability-related housing accommodations.
  • Housing accommodations are provided on a first-come/first-serve basis.  Do not wait for Student Access Services approval of desired housing accommodations to submit your housing application.

3)  Contact Student Access Services to:

  • Complete SAS forms that require a Marymount email address and Marymount student ID number.  These forms are important to have filled-out because they:
    • 1) Give SAS a basic understanding of the impairment/s you are disclosing before Student Access Services representatives engage in a conversation with you about your housing accommodations needs; and
    • 2) Clarify who you permit our office to talk to with (if anyone) and who you prefer we do not speak to regarding your impairment.
  • Submit documentation from your health care provider that offers a basic description of your impairment.  To be eligible for disability approved accommodations, you should provide appropriate written documentation from a licensed health care professional, which describes:
    • 1) your “condition” as a diagnosis or by other description;
    • 2) the “manner” in which the impairment impacts you; and
    • 3) the “duration” in which you have and/or had the impairment.
    • Lastly, documentation should include a recommendation by your clinician which ties your clinical condition to your needs for specific housing accommodations. Ideally a recommendation should be made by your health care provider to mitigate the impact of your disability.
  • Engage in the interactive process by meeting with Student Access Services representatives.

Housing Location Preferences

Please note that housing accommodation assessments are based on medical need.  Accessible options in each housing unit vary.

  • Best efforts are made to assign students with approved housing accommodations to a campus residential room which meets their access criteria.  Rooms equipped with needed accessibility options may not always be a student’s preferred location.
  • Student preferences such as a room location in particular building or floor are not considered disability approved accommodations.
  • Student Access Services has no control over where students who are approved for housing accommodations are assigned to live in campus housing.

Housing Availability

Approval for housing accommodations from SAS does not guarantee the availability of residential units on campus. Housing assignments are processed by Residential Life & Housing Office of Student Living and students are required to follow the Office of Student Living policies, procedures, and timetables.