Disability insurance is not something you think about every day. But they should be an important part of everybody’s financial planning – no matter what your age. Your benefits program offers the following coverages provided by UNUM to help protect you and your family when it’s needed most.
As a full-time employee, 30+ hours per week, you are eligible for short-term and long-term disability insurance after six (6) months of continuous service.
When Coverage Ends
Benefits end at the end of your last day worked.
Short-Term Disability (STD) Insurance
Short-Term Disability (STD) insurance provides income continuation while an employee is unable to work due to injury or illness. The short-term disability period is 120 days from the first day of your approved disability.
- Staff: must be out for a minimum of 7 days
- Marymount Services Company (MMC): must be out for minimum 7 days
- Faculty: must be out for minimum 14 days
Employees may receive:
- Staff: 75% of earnings not to exceed 16 weeks of duration including the elimination period of 7 days.
- Marymount Services Company (MMC): 66 2/3% of earnings not to exceed 16 weeks of duration including the elimination period of 7 days.
- Faculty: 75% of earnings not to exceed 14 weeks of duration including the elimination period of 14 days.
Long-Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
If you are approved for LTD, you will be transferred into the Long-Term Disability program after 120 days of Short-Term Disability. UNUM Long-Term Disability insurance provides income continuation while an employee is unable to work for an extended period of time due to an illness or injury.
Employees receive 66 2/3% of monthly earnings with a maximum per month depending on employment type. Maximum period of payment depends on age at onset of disability.
- Staff: $4,500 max per month
- Faculty & Administrators: $6,500 max per month
- VPs/Cabinet: $12,500 max per month
Contact and Plan Information
Access UNUM to file a claim and access resources.
|Reporting a Claim by Phone||(888) 673-9940||Claim Information Flier
STD Policy #145107
|UNUM Life and Disability||(800) 421-0344||www.unum.com|