Data is everywhere. It is estimated that 90% of all data in the world has been produced in the past two years and the volume continues to grow. Living in the age of these large amounts of data means opportunity for data scientists to collect data from many sources and transform it into a usable format, solve business-related problems using data-driven analysis techniques, and work with a variety of programming languages, including R and Python. A minor in data science complements programs such as business, biology, and mathematics, and data scientist is a major career option in the business and science fields.
Minimum Grade Requirement: A minimum grade of C is required in any course in the Data Science minor.
Residency Requirement: Students must complete at least 12 credits of the minor requirement at Marymount.
- MA 132 Statistical Analysis OR MA 218 Probability and Statistics
- IT 310 Database Technology
- DATA 310 Decision Analysis
- DATA 325 Data Analytics
- IT 385 Managing Big Data
- DATA 385 Current Topics in Data Science OR DATA 395 Data Visualizations
- DATA 390 Data Science Applications OR DATA 370 Machine Learning