Late Books, Fines, and Fees
Paying Fines and Fees
- Fines and Fees can be paid in person at the Circulation Desk at the Reinsch Library or at the Circulation Desk at the Ballston Coakley Library Extension or by phone with a credit card at 703-526-1533.
- Fines and Fees can be paid with cash, check, or major credit card.
Overdue Books Status and Fines
- The library automatically sends email reminders to patrons when their books are approaching the due date. Patrons will also be emailed after a book is overdue.
- Once an item is 30 days overdue, it will automatically be designated as lost.
- MU and WRLC users will automatically accrue an $80 replacement fee and a $30 processing fee per lost item.
- Community Borrowers and Alumni will automatically accrue an $80 replacement fee, a $30 processing fee, and a $10 overdue fee per lost item.
- Short-term loan materials such as reserves and technology devices have varying overdue and replacement charges.
- In some scenarios, replacement items may be accepted. This will be granted on a case-by-case basis at the Library’s discretion. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fines charged by other WRLC libraries to Marymount patrons are based upon that library’s circulation policies.
- When all libraries’ fines/fees total $25 or more, you may not check out additional materials.
Overdue Reserve Items
- Fines for overnight reserves are $2.50 a day to a maximum of $10 per item.
- Fines for closed reserves are 50¢ per hour up to $10.
Lost Fines and Fees
- Forty days after an item is overdue, the item’s status changes to “lost.” The following charges are then applied to the patron’s account: $80 lost item fee, $30 processing fee, and $10 overdue fine.
- The charge for a lost/long overdue textbook reserve item is either the same as above or the cost of the textbook, whichever is higher.
- After all fees are applied, the student’s Registrar records, registration for classes, and transcripts will be held until fines/fees are paid.
- Upon return of the item(s), lost and processing fees will be removed and the account hold will be lifted. A $10 overdue fine per item will still apply.
- Marymount students, faculty, and staff may replace a lost or damaged book owned by MU with an exact copy rather than paying the $80 lost fee. However, the $30 processing fee and $10 overdue fine must still be paid.
- Patrons should log in to their MyLibrary account to view any fines and/or fees.
- The fine for overdue DVDs and other videos borrowed from WRLC libraries by Marymount students, faculty, and staff is $5 per day to a maximum of $25.
- The overdue fine for DVDs and other videos borrowed from Marymount library by Marymount students, faculty, and staff is $2.50 per day to a maximum of $10.
Technology Fines and Fees
- The fine for an overdue laptop and charger is $1 per hour for each to a maximum of $25 per item. A laptop that is lost or not returned will be assessed a $1,500 replacement cost.
- The fine for overdue headphones and calculators is 50¢ per hour up to a maximum of $10. The charge for lost headphones is a $25 lost item fee and a $5 processing charge. The lost item fee for basic calculators is $10 and a $5 processing charge. The lost item fee for graphing calculators is $200 and a $5 processing charge.
Disputed Fines and Fees
- If you feel you have received a Fine or Fee in error, you may contact the Circulation Desk at Reinsch Library; call 703-526-1533; or email email@example.com.