Marymount University’s Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry focuses on the study of chemical processes that take place in living organisms. This degree prepares students for a wide array of career opportunities in the sciences, biotechnology, and health care. In addition, graduates of the program will have the critical thinking and quantitative reasoning skills to recognize, analyze, and solve biological problems; the communication skills to explain key scientific findings clearly; and the ability to recognize the ethical implications of scientific issues in society.
The program provides excellent preparation for medical (pre-med), dental, or veterinary school, or for graduate study in biochemistry, molecular biology, or another biological or health discipline.
Students in the biochemistry program acquire a strong foundation in biology, chemistry, mathematics, and physics. Upon successful completion of the program, they are able to
- independently conduct and evaluate scientific research;
- demonstrate effective oral and written scientific communication skills;
- understand the moral and ethical impact of science on their communities, both local and global; and
- integrate a range of scientific concepts and ideas.
- understand fundamental biochemistry principles.
Marymount’s proximity to Washington, DC, offers students exciting opportunities to fulfill the program’s required internship for academic credit; potential internships sites include renowned public and private research institutions; leading healthcare agencies and hospitals; and high-profile federal agencies such as Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
The Biochemistry program at Marymount opens many doors. Biochemistry majors can:
- collaborate with a faculty mentor to undertake scholarly research through Marymount’s DISCOVER program
- apply for scholarship programs specifically for students interested in a career in the sciences. Highly qualified students may be eligible for the Clare Boothe Luce Scholarship for Women in Science and Mathematics, providing full tuition and room and board.
Click here to apply.
- participate in a summer study abroad program in Belize to gain hands-on experience in marine biology and tropical ecology.