As the nation grapples with an ever-increasing shortage of nurses, Marymount University is addressing this crisis by collaborating with local health care institutions and launching the new Nursing Workforce Scholarship Program. Through this initiative, Marymount is offering a merit-based $10,000 scholarship starting in the Spring 2024 semester for students admitted to the University’s on-ground Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) program, as well as a scholarship with 10 percent off tuition for any of its online graduate Nursing programs.
By championing the vision within the Future of Nursing 2020-2030 report, Marymount – the first and only four-year Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) in the Commonwealth of Virginia – seeks to not only augment the number of nurses but to also diversify the profession. The Nursing Workforce Scholarship Program aims to alleviate the financial burden on incoming Nursing students, no matter their background, in order to enhance future health outcomes – especially within marginalized communities.
“This scholarship embodies Marymount’s dedication to developing highly skilled nurses who are able to provide high-quality and culturally responsive care to improve the health and wellness of our community,” said Dr. Andrew Wolf, Director of Marymount University’s Malek School of Nursing Professions. “This initiative reflects our commitment to social justice – and as one of the most diverse universities in the nation, we recognize the importance of ensuring that the nursing profession is as diverse as the communities we serve.”
Marymount’s Malek School of Nursing Professions offers distinct advantages to students of all levels, including:
- A Student-Centered Approach: With a favorable student-faculty ratio, students always come first as they receive personal attention from professors and are cared for as individuals.
- Experiential Curriculum: State-of-the-art simulation labs provide hands-on learning experiences in a supportive and secure setting.
- Flexible Learning: Both full-time and part-time options are available to students, ensuring they can find the right balance between work, family and academic commitments.
- Promising Career Paths: Marymount graduates are highly regarded in the DMV region, with many actively sought by top health care institutions. Strong clinical partnerships also offer students access to some of the best clinical experiences in the nation. Marymount Nursing students demonstrate their expertise with an impressive NCLEX pass rate that currently exceeds 93 percent.
- Commitment to Diversity and Social Justice: Marymount’s Nursing program is deeply rooted in the values of diversity and social justice, embedded in a campus community that is ranked No. 15 nationwide for ethnic diversity by U.S. News & World Report.
Click here for more information on Marymount’s Nursing Workforce Scholarship Program.