Policies & Procedures

The Global Education Office at Marymount University has a set of policies and procedures in place to ensure that students have a successful international experience. Policies and procedures may be subject to change. Any questions related to these policies should be directed to the Global Education Office.


  • For summer, semester and year-long programs, students must have a minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA and must be in good academic standing at the time of application and immediately prior to the study abroad term. For Global Classrooms, students must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA.
  • ​Students on academic probation at the time of application or immediately prior to the study abroad term are not eligible to study abroad.
  • Students on disciplinary probation and/or who have a significant history of disciplinary problems may not be eligible to participate in study abroad.
  • ​MU short-term summer faculty-led programs are open to non-MU students, and members of the consortium. Students who wish to study abroad on an summer faculty-led program or a Global Internship Program after graduation will be enrolled as non-degree seeking students.
  • Transfer students must have completed one semester at Marymount University prior to departure in order to participate in a fall, spring, or year-long study abroad program.
  • First year students are required to complete their first year on campus before being eligible for a semester or year-long study abroad program. First year students are eligible to participate in MU faculty-led Global Classrooms in their first year on campus.
  • Students are not permitted to participate in a semester-long program their final semester at Marymount University. Students are permitted to participate in the Global Classroom Series their final semester.
  • ​Students must meet all stated requirements and deadlines to be eligible to study abroad.
  • Students are bound to the Marymount University Community Conduct Code while they are overseas. If we are informed of any breaches to the code of conduct, there may be ramifications when they return to campus.

​Costs & Billing

  • Students are billed for all study abroad tuition and program fees through Marymount University.
  • Students will be billed for all study abroad-related expenses according to the university’s regular billing schedule.
  • ​All students studying abroad will be billed for the Marymount Study Abroad Fee.
  • Students participating in a Global Classroom will be billed for the supplemental program fee by Marymount University. Supplemental program fees vary by program. Please see the program brochure for more information.
  • ​Students participating in a Short-term Faculty-led Program, International internship program, or summer term program will be billed at the Marymount tuition rates for the number of credits that they are taking abroad, as well as an additional supplemental program fee. Supplemental program fees vary by program. Please see the Global Learning Office for more information.
  • Students participating on a semester program will be billed for regular Marymount tuition and fees, as well as an additional supplemental program fee. Please consult with your study abroad advisor for more information.
  • ​Tuition remission can only be used for study abroad tuition costs. Tuition remission cannot be used for supplemental housing or program fees.

Financial Aid

  • Most federal financial aid and scholarships can be used for study abroad. However, there may be some exceptions. Work Study cannot be used while studying abroad. Please work with your Financial Aid Advisor and the Global Learning Office to determine which types of aid can be used for study abroad.
  • ​Pre-existing institutional scholarships cannot be increased based on study abroad costs.
  • It may be possible to get additional Financial Aid depending on the cost of your study abroad program. Students will work with the Global Learning Office to obtain a Study Abroad Cost of Attendance Adjustment Form, which will be used to help the Financial Aid Office determine whether a student may be eligible for additional aid.
  • ​Students must ensure they meet the minimum course load requirements (total credits per term) for each financial aid award.
  • In order to be eligible for Financial Aid, students must be taking coursework that will count toward their academic degree.
  • ​In order to retain your Financial Aid, your attendance in all courses must be confirmed.
  • Overseas transcripts must be received and processed promptly. Students will receive a one-semester grace period in which they will be allowed to receive Financial Aid while the transcript is being sent and evaluated. However, no aid will be disbursed during the semester following the Study Abroad semester until all transcripts have been received and processed. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that Marymount receives the overseas transcript in a timely manner.

Registration, Credits, and Grading

  • Students participating in any study abroad program, including a Global Classroom Program, will be registered for their Study Abroad credits by the Global Learning Office.
  • ​The Pass/Fail Grading option is not available for students participating in Marymount faculty-led programs.
  • Students participating in a Marymount faculty-led program will receive direct Marymount credit for the courses taken while abroad. Students will receive a letter grade, and the grade will calculate into the student’s Marymount GPA.
  • ​Students participating on a Marymount Internship program will be responsible for obtaining approval from both their academic and internship advisor for the overseas internship. Students are also responsible for registering and reporting the internship in Handshake.
  • Students participating on a Marymount semester program will be registered in a temporary Study Abroad placeholder course during the study abroad semester. Students are responsible for working with the Global Learning Office to ensure that all courses that they enroll in abroad have been approved by the appropriate school. Credits will come back as transfer credit, and students must receive a grade of C or better in order to receive credit for the course. Additionally, each department determines the minimum grade for a course to count toward a degree or certificate program.

​Withdrawal & Refunds

  • Requests to withdraw from a study abroad program are to be made in writing (email notification is acceptable) to the Global Learning Office as soon as the decision is made.
  • The withdrawal notification date may affect the student’s enrollment status at Marymount University.
  • ​Any request to withdraw must come directly from the student and include the student’s name, student ID#, program title, program location, and date.
  • Students should notify their Academic Advisor of their withdrawal and request assistance with registration for classes at Marymount, if necessary. Students should be aware that course availability may be limited depending on the timing of their withdrawal and subsequent registration.
  • ​Financial aid recipients must notify the Financial Aid Office of their withdrawal. Students may be required to repay some or all of their aid award depending on the date of withdrawal.
  • Students who must withdraw from a study abroad program due to emergency or illness should contact the Global Learning Office for assistance and instructions as soon as possible.
  • Students who are dismissed from their study abroad program will receive no academic credit for their courses abroad and are subject to judicial sanction upon return to Marymount depending upon the circumstances of the dismissal.
  • Students who withdraw from a study abroad program are not eligible to receive a refund of the MU Study Abroad Fee.
  • ​Students who withdraw prior to departure may be responsible for program costs already incurred on their behalf. Students who withdraw after their program abroad is underway may be eligible for a partial refund depending upon the program policies and the University’s refund schedule.
  • Students who are dismissed from their study abroad programs are not eligible for a refund and are subject to additional expenses depending upon the circumstances of the dismissal.

​Housing at MU

  • Students who live in MU housing may request to be released from their housing agreement for the semester they will be studying abroad by submitting a written cancellation request to rlife@marymount.edu.
  • The Global Learning Office will confirm your study abroad participation with the Office of Campus & Residential Services.
  • ​It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Housing and Residence Life Office if they intend to return to MU housing once they have completed their program abroad.

Health & Health Insurance

  • Students are encouraged to follow all health and vaccination recommendations by the Center for Disease Control.
  • ​Marymount University requires all study abroad participants to have health and accident insurance while studying abroad which provides, at a minimum, coverage for emergency medical care and treatment, hospitalization, and physician charges in the country where the host institution or program is located, as well as insurance for medical evacuation, repatriation, and medical reunion.
  • Students should also maintain U.S. insurance to ensure continuous coverage for any pre-existing conditions.
  • ​Most Marymount-approved study abroad programs include health insurance and assistance plans in their program fee. We recommend that students review the insurance benefits packaged with your study abroad program (if any) and decide if the coverage provided is adequate.

Risk Management

  • Assessment of our programs and security conditions around the world is one of the primary functions of the Global Learning Office, as well as of our partner institutions and affiliate providers.
  • Our office receives daily reports from the Overseas Security Advisory Council and continuously monitors travel alerts and advisories, and recommendations issued by the U.S. Department of State, World Health Organization, and Centers for Disease Control.
  • ​Our office works with our overseas partners to communicate and share information with our students and their designated emergency contacts as needed.

Travel Advisories

  • Marymount University does not typically administer programs in countries with elevated U.S. Department of State travel advisory levels. Marymount students may be granted permission to study in countries with elevated travel advisory levels but are required to complete a Travel Waiver acknowledging the associated risks at the time of application.
  • ​Should a travel advisory level change for a country in which Marymount administers a program or should the university deem it necessary for other reasons, appropriate actions may be taken including but not limited to adjusting the program schedule, relocating the program, ending the program early, or suspending or canceling the program
  • We encourage all students studying abroad to register with the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
  • ​​All students participating in study abroad programs are encouraged to purchase travel insurance in case of program itinerary changes or cancellations to cover associated costs such as flights, personal expenses, etc.