This program is designed for persons who already have a B.A. or B.S. and seek licensure in any of the following content areas: biology, chemistry, computer science, earth science, English, history and social science, mathematics, or physics.
In order to maintain currency in the content area, students seeking a teaching license at the secondary level (grades 6-12) need to have satisfactorily completed a course in their licensure endorsement area within five years prior to applying for a Virginia teaching license through Marymount.
Three credit hours in human growth and development are required for licensure in addition to the graduate program requirements.
Many courses require field experience. See course descriptions for details.
The M.Ed. in secondary education is available at Marymount’s main campus.
(ED 500 and ED 509 are required as the first courses in this program, as they provide the foundation for all other courses.)
- ED 500 Foundations of Education & the Teaching Profession*
- ED 509 Special Education: Foundations and Characteristics of Exceptional Learners*+
- ED 526 Cross-cultural/International Curricula or ED 541 Global Perspectives for the Special Educational Needs of All Students
- ED 529 Collaboration & Consultation in Special Education Settings or elective
- ED 537 Literacy Across the Curriculum: Secondary*
- ED 538 Secondary Teaching Methods*
- ED 551 Instruction and Assessment
- ED 552 Effective Classroom Management*#
- ED 554 Educational Technology*
- ED 566 Teaching Science in Secondary Schools* OR
- ED 567 Teaching History in Secondary Schools* OR
- ED 568 Teaching English in Secondary Schools* OR
- ED 569 Teaching Math Secondary Schools*
- ED 570S Student Teaching: Secondary (6 credits)*#
*Students in the Secondary Education program who are interested in initial licensure may apply for a Virginia teaching license after successfully completing all of these courses.
+ A course in lifespan and development – pre-K through adolescence- is required before or in conjunction with ED 509.
#ED 552 and ED 570S must be taken at the same time.