Interior Design Jobs, Salary, and Career Outlook for Interior Design Professionals
The career outlook for interior design professionals is bright. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary for interior designers in May 2019 was $56,040. The highest 10 percent earned more than $96,470.
Obtaining a CIDA Accredited degree in interior design prepares you to work in these kinds of roles:
- Office Design
- Healthcare Design
- Restaurant or Retail Design
- Residential Design
Places of Employment for Interior Design Professionals
Marymount’s Interior Design alumni are currently employed at 6 of the top 15 interior design firms in the country. Many of these firms have offices in the Metro DC area.
Top 15 firms employing Marymount ID alumni:
- Gensler, Washington DC (ranked #1)
- AECOM, Roanoke, VA (ranked #3)
- HOK, Washington, DC (ranked #6)
- IA Interior Architects, Washington, DC (ranked #8)
- Perkins Eastman, Washington, DC (ranked #11)
- Smith Group, Washington, DC (ranked #13)
We are proud to share Marymount ID Alumni are also star employed at the following firms:
- Barbara Hawthorn Interiors, McLean, VA
- Builders Design, Gaithersburg, MD
- Carlyn and Company Interiors + Design, Great Falls, VA
- Cooper Carry, Alexandria, VA
- Design Collective, Baltimore, MD
- DBI Architects, Inc, Washington, DC
- Forrest Perkins, Washington, DC
- Hickok Cole Architects, Washington, DC
- HVS Design, Rockville, MD
- LEO A DALY, Washington DC, (ranked #29)
- Lighting Environments, Baltimore, MD
- The M Group Architects, Reston, VA
- OTJ Architects, Washington, DC (ranked #48)
- Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian
Interior Design Internships
While the studio and classroom afford you opportunities to gain theoretical knowledge and technical skills, an internship provides valuable practical experience. Internships are available during the junior and senior years with nationally recognized architectural and design firms, furniture and interior retailers, contract designers, and other organizations around the Washington, DC, area.
For more information on internship sites and placements, email Prof. Jessica Bonness. Marymount’s Center for Career Services can help you prepare for your internship and job search, polish your résumé, and practice your interviewing skills.
NCIDQ Examination and Professional Organizations
Our rigorous program will prepare you to face a demanding job market. Marymount’s Interior Design program is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation, which qualifies graduates to sit for the National Council for Interior Design Qualification exam.
As you prepare for your career, here are some links you might find useful to research your options.
- American Society of Interior Designers (ASID)
- ASID Washington Metro Chapter
- International Interior Design Association (IIDA)
- Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA)
- National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ)
- Interior Design Educators Council (IDEC)
- National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA)
- Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA)
- International Facility Management Association
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
The following journals are referenced by students, educators, and practitioners.