Withdrawal Information

Dropping or withdrawing from one course?

Students can add or drop courses online or in person up to the date specified in the Academic Calendar.

To drop a course or courses, students should complete an Add/Drop form at the Office of the Registrar or access their course schedule via My MU Plan. Students should email the Office of the Registrar (registrar@marymount.edu) from their MU email account if they are unable to drop a course via My MU Plan. After the add/drop period, students may only withdraw from a course or courses through the Office of the Registrar by submitting an Add/Drop/Withdrawal form or emailing registrar@marymount.edu.

If dropping or withdrawing from a course will change your enrollment status (e.g. dropped you from full-time to half-time, etc.), please discuss with any offices that you work closely with (e.g. Financial Aid, Athletics, International Student Services, OCRS, Veteran Student Services, etc.) about how this change can impact your student status for the semester.

Withdrawing from all courses and plan to return to Marymount in a future semester?

All degree and certificate candidates must maintain active status at the university until all requirements are satisfied. As such, students who plan to return to the university after withdrawing from all courses should request to be placed on Continuous Registration. Click here for more information.

Separating/withdrawing from Marymount?


Before the last day to add classes, any newly admitted student who wishes to withdraw from the university or defer their admission should notify via email the offices of Admissions (Undergraduate-admissions@marymount.edu, Graduate-gadmissi@marymount.edu) and the Office of the Registrar (registrar@marymount.edu). Any returning student, or newly admitted student after the last day to add classes who wishes to withdraw from the university should notify the Office of the Registrar in writing by submitting a Separation Form approved by their associate dean. The date the student notifies the Office of the Registrar of their intent to separate is the official date that determines the student’s financial responsibility to the university. Any tuition refund or credit will be calculated based on the withdrawal/separation date recorded by the Office of the Registrar. The last date to file a request for separation for enrolled students is the last day of classes as indicated by the Academic Calendar.

Students who stop attending courses without officially withdrawing from the course or separating from the university will receive a failing grade.

Registration Terms and Conditions and Promise to Pay

Marymount’s Registration Terms and Conditions and Promise to Pay.

Refund Information

Please click here for Marymount University’s refund policy. Please contact the Student Accounts Office at saccount@marymount.edu or 703-284-1490 if you have questions about this policy.