Health & Safety Abroad

The Center for Global Education at Marymount University encourages safe, culturally respectful global travel by MU students, faculty, and staff and wants to provide all of the information necessary to make those travels as successful as possible.  During our mandatory pre-departure orientations, we cover health and safety more in-depth and provide country-specific resources for students. Below, you can find more information to help you in your preliminary research.

Global Travel Registry

All Marymount students, faculty, and staff travelling on any Marymount-affiliated programs, projects, or business are required to register their travel through a program application or travel registration.  If you did not complete an application through the study abroad portal for a program, please register your upcoming travel here.

Health and Travel Insurance

  • All students, faculty, and staff who participate in any study abroad programs coordinated by Marymount University’s CGE are provided with limited health and accident insurance assistance through the ACE Travel Assist Insurance Program. ACE Travel Assist provides health coverage for accidents, sickness, medical conditions that may arise, and emergency medical reunion.
  • Participants will be given an ACE Travel Assist membership card and policy description by the CGE staff in the weeks leading up to their program departure.
  • Participants should NOT cancel their regular health insurance while they go abroad.

Marymount Student Health Center Support

Marymount University’s Student Health Center (SHC) provides students with travel health education as well as vaccinations prior to their departure for study abroad. For appointments please call the Student Health Center at 703.284.1610 or visit their website for more travel health information.

Marymount Student Counseling Services

Marymount University’s Student Counseling Services(SCS) provides supportive, confidential, empowering services to help all students thrive at Marymount and prepare for studying abroad. If you would like to speak with a counselor, please contact them at (703) 526-6861 or visit their services in Berg 1014. All initial appointments must be scheduled in person.


Some programs or countries may require participants get certain vaccines to go abroad. Look into the CDC and country requirements regarding immunizations early on as these can sometimes require multiple shots over a period of time.

Sexual Assault

Sexual assault can happen anywhere in the world. We want students to know that we are there to support them, to offer resources, and for them to know they are not alone or at fault. If students believe they are sexually assaulted while they are abroad, we encourage them to reach out to our office and our Title IX office on campus which deals with any sexual misconduct or assault situations. Together, we will help you find resources and find out how you can proceed. Students and families can contact our Title IX office at (703) 526-6940.

Traveler Health

A number of U.S. and global institutions maintain information about outbreaks of disease and other issues that may affect health, on a country by country basis. For more information on health, including recommended vaccinations, visit:

U.S. Department of State Resources

  • United States Department of State U.S. Study Abroad Branch – The U.S. Study Abroad Branch of the United States Department of State has a website with helpful resources on how to get informed, register your travel, and maintain your health and safety while abroad.

  • ​Travel Alerts & Warnings  —  Marymount categorizes the risk level of traveling to foreign countries based on U.S. Department of State and/or Centers for Disease Control travel notices. According to those notices and Marymount’s subsequent categorization of a country’s risk level, certain conditions or restrictions on university-related travel may apply. The CGE will inform all stakeholders of any relevant travel warnings that may threaten an upcoming program or study location as needed.

  • Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) — If you are planning to travel abroad, register for the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive the latest travel warnings, alerts and information about the country where you will be traveling. Our office registers short-term and global classroom series participants, but semester-long students should register themselves through this program.