Marymount University offers intermediate and advanced classes of intensive English to meet your English proficiency needs, conveniently located in Arlington, Virginia, just outside Washington, D.C. For students hoping to study in a Marymount University undergraduate program, conditional admission may be offered to students who are academically qualified based on previous academic experience.
The Intensive English Language Program (IELP) courses follow the Marymount University academic calendar with Summer, Fall and Spring entry terms and can be completed in as few as one or two academic semesters depending on language proficiency level.
• No. 20 nationally for Most International Students
• SACSCOC accredited
Why study English at MU?
Marymount’s IELP program offers students a unique experience in furthering English Language Proficiency, while immersing themselves in Marymount’s college culture! As a student at MU, you’ll take your classes in the same buildings as MU undergraduate and graduate students, have the opportunity to study and use resources in the University library, attend exciting college events, and engage with MU faculty and staff.
The program offers two levels of study based upon students’ proficiency levels:
- High Intermediate
Each program level requires approximately four months (one semester) of study. Students are placed upon arrival into the appropriate level based on their submitted English proficiency test scores at the time of application. If your English proficiency is on the lower end of the testing range, you may be admitted to the “High Intermediate” level of our IELP program. If you are testing higher on our English Language proficiency range, you may be admitted to the “Advanced” IELP level.
Regardless of which level you are admitted to, you will be supported by dedicated faculty and staff who are invested in ensuring you are successful in meeting your English and academic goals!
- IELP application
- Official secondary school (high school transcripts) and English translation of secondary school (high school) transcripts. If you have completed any undergraduate or postgraduate (master’s) coursework, those transcripts are required also.
- You must complete one of the following English Language Proficiency exams, and meet the following minimum scores (Note- test scores must be officially sent by the exam provider to Marymount University)
|IELP Levels||TOEFL iBT
required entry score
|Duolingo English Test
required entry score
required entry score
|Advanced||72 – 78||90-99||5.5|
|High Intermediate||42 – 71||70-90||5.0|
Typical Daily Schedule
|Typical Daily Schedule for the Intensive English Program|
|8:30am – 10:10am||Listening / Speaking||Listening / Speaking||Listening / Speaking||Listening / Speaking||Listening / Speaking|
|10:30am – 12:15pm||Reading / Writing||Reading / Writing||Reading / Writing||Reading / Writing||Reading / Writing|
|2:00pm – 2:50pm||Self-access Learning Center||Self-access Learning Center||Self-access Learning Center||Self-access Learning Center|
Conditional Admission to an MU Undergraduate program
Prospective undergraduate international students who meet regular admissions requirements except for English language proficiency may apply for conditional admission through the IELP.
This is a selective program. Interested applicants who wish to be considered for conditional admission will be required to submit an IELP application and all materials required for full admission consideration. This includes the following:
- Official transcripts from all previously attended schools. Where appropriate, include official results and certificates of completion from national secondary school examinations such as GCSE/GCE and WAEC. Certified English translations must be submitted for any transcripts not already in English.
- A certified course-by-course evaluation for all post-secondary/university level coursework completed outside of the United States that does not hold U.S. regional accreditation. Evaluations must come from one of the following:
- A resume/CV should an applicant have any gaps in enrollment
Once in the program, students work toward meeting admission requirements while studying in the Intensive English course. When conditional requirements are met, they are then granted full admission into the undergraduate program of their choice*.
For more specific information about MU undergraduate admissions, please visit the International Admissions Page.
*Applicants interested in the Nursing (B.S.N.) or Nursing Accelerated Second Degree (B.S.N.) are NOT eligible for conditional admission consideration.
If you would like more information about the IELP, complete the Request for Information form, and a member of our team will be in touch. You may also email us directly at email@example.com should you have any specific questions.
Ready to apply? Click the button below and complete the application!
Admissions decisions are typically given within 1-2 weeks of a completed application.