Accounts Payable

Accounts Payable is responsible for processing vendor payments, students (non-service, awards, etc.) employees (travel and non-travel reimbursements) and non-employees (travel reimbursements).   

Expense Reimbursements (Non-Travel) 

There are limited circumstances in which a personal payment (cash, credit/debit card) is the appropriate method to conduct university business. Most purchases must be made through Procurement and/or with a Marymount P-Card. Marymount employees and students may occasionally incur non-regular or emergency expenses while conducting official university business. Please follow the guidelines below when requesting an employee or student reimbursement. 

Eligible reimbursement expenditures are limited to: 

  • Emergency office supplies while traveling on university business 
  • Postage, shipping or photocopying 
  • Business meals (See Food & Beverage Purchases) 
  • Entry fees 
  • Student event and business supplies (when approved by the Department) 
  • Research Subject Payments 
  • Professional Membership Dues 
  • Publication fees 
  • Other expenses when approved, in writing, by Procurement or Accounts Payable 

Purchases not eligible for reimbursements include: 

  • Routine office supplies to include printers, toner, paper, etc. 
  • Computers, monitors or accessories 
  • Computer software 
  • Magazines, periodicals or books 
  • Any payment to an individual for the performance of services 
  • Routine food and beverage with the exception of business meals 
  • Grocery store/department store/wholesale club purchases 
  • Consulting Services 
  • Academic Testing fees 
  • Employee Training Course fees 
  • Lab Supplies 
  • Storage Facility Leases 
  • Space Rentals 
  • Equipment Rentals 

Pay Invoices  

Accounts Payable processes payments for all purchases of goods and services at the university. Departments are responsible for submitting a Service Invoice Request (SIR) in Workday, attaching appropriate documents required for payment in a timely manner. Vendors should always send invoices directly to the requestor in the purchasing department. SIR Job Aid

Non-Employee Student Stipends  

Student stipends are paid only when the purpose is to further the student’s education and training and provided by Marymount University and does not represent compensation or payment for services.  Examples are an Academic Award, Participation Support Allowance, or Honorarium.  Process as an SIR in Workday.  SIR Job Aid

Taxation:  If applicable, domestic students will receive a 1099-Misc from Accounts Payable.  Foreign Nationals/Non-Resident Aliens: Taxable/Reportable on 1042-S (any amount) with 30% tax withholding, unless a tax treaty or reduced rate applies. 

Other:  Scholarships and Fellowships are paid through Student Financials.  Graduate Assistantships are paid through Payroll.   

Non-Employee Honorariums  

An honorarium is a one-time token gesture of appreciation for a special, non-recurring activity or event for which a fee is not legally or traditionally required. There is no contract, the fee is not set or negotiated by the recipient, and the honorarium may not be paid to a third party (corporation, business or partnership). If payment is negotiated and agreed upon, it is considered a contractual agreement, not an honorarium. The amount of an honorarium should not be set to compensate for lost fees, wages, or other opportunity costs incurred by the recipient.  Process as an SIR in Workday. SIR Job Aid

Travel Expense Reimbursements  

A. Reimbursement

  • Travel related expenses must be submitted with required documentation and paid to the traveler within sixty (60) calendar days of incurring the expense or returning from the trip.  
  • Reimbursement requests for expenses older than sixty (60) calendar days will be taxable to the traveler.  
  • Reimbursement requests for expenses older than one hundred twenty (120) days will be denied.  
  • Payment of travel expenses by the University is limited to costs authorized in this policy. Departments and employees may negotiate a lower travel reimbursement than allowed by this policy. In this situation, the traveler will pay the remaining expenses as Personal Expenses.  
  • Reimbursement for travel expenses will not be made until the trip is complete.  

B. Other Allowable Travel Expenses - Refer to Planning Travel

C. Third Party Reimbursements, Rebates, and Promotions

  • When a third party pays for or intends to reimburse a Marymount University employee for travel expenses, the employee may only submit a reimbursement request for Allowable Expenses not covered by the third party.  
  • If the third party reimburses an employee for expenses after the employee has been reimbursed by the University, the employee must repay Marymount the lesser of (i) the total amount paid by the third party, or (ii) the total amount reimbursed to the employee by the University. It is the traveler’s responsibility to initiate reimbursement and to ensure that any funds received are remitted to the University.  
  • University employees may not use personal funds to pay travel expenses on behalf of faculty, staff, students, Guests or colleagues unless extenuating circumstances exist and there is no other means of payment. In such a case, expenses will not be reimbursed until the trip is complete and the trip expense report is submitted.  

D.  Personal Expenses (not eligible for payment with P-card or reimbursement) 

  • Expenses of a personal nature incurred solely for the convenience or sentiment of the traveler.  
  • Expenses for Commuter Miles or for other non-official purposes.  
  • Expenses incurred while on personal leave even if scheduled in conjunction with University Sponsored Travel.  
  • Per Diem Expenses and lodging while on Vicinity Travel.  
  • Airfare obtained with frequent flyer miles or credits or program equivalent, travel vouchers, credits, gift cards, and other non-monetary methods.  

E.  Refer to Travel Policy for more information.