Clinical Experiences & Careers

Clinical Experiences

In addition to the rigor of classroom learning, you will be required to complete two clinical experiences before you graduate from the School Counseling program: a practicum and internship. The practicum is a one-semester, 100-hour placement in which you will develop basic counseling skills and integrate classroom knowledge and special training in counseling theory and skills related to school settings.

The internship is a two-semester, 600-hour placement in which you will grow professionally, expanding your clinical skills. You will be trained to use the basic interventions in a school setting, with special emphasis on individual counseling; group counseling; classroom lessons; consultation with faculty, parents, and administrators; career counseling; testing; record keeping; in-service; child-study; peer mediation; and additional activities unique to the school. You will learn to work cooperatively with individuals and organizations to promote the overall development of children, youth, and families in their communities.

The practicum and internship are completed at local public schools, including

  • Fairfax County
  • Arlington County
  • Loudoun County
  • Prince William County
  • City of Alexandria


The goal of Marymount’s School Counseling program is to prepare you for a job in a wide variety of clinical, consultative, and administrative tasks at the elementary, middle, and high school levels.


Upon successful completion of this program, you will be eligible for licensure as a school counselor (grades PK-12) in the Commonwealth of Virginia. In addition, there are other credentials you can obtain.

Many of our students take advantage of becoming a Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC). Because of the University’s CACREP-accredited status, Marymount is able to offer the NCE or National Counselor’s Examination twice a year to students towards the end of their program. The NCC does NOT mean you can practice independently in any state.

Most MU Counseling students also want to obtain state licensure. Licensing requirements vary from state to state. To find out the requirements for any state, go to

The degree meets the academic requirements for licensure in Virginia, Maryland, and DC. For students interested in working in the substance abuse field, the state of Virginia now offers licensure as a Substance Abuse Treatment Practitioner (LSATP). The Virginia Board of Professional Counselors makes a final determination on applications for licensure. For more information about licensure in the District of Columbia, go to the DC Department of Health site. For more information about licensure in Maryland, go to Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene site.