In making decisions for admission, The Forensic and Legal Psychology faculty take a holistic approach to application review.
Fall Enrollment only – February 15th
Application Requirements: In addition to meeting the university wide requirements for graduate admission, applicants must submit:
- Graduate Application
- Professional résumé
- Official transcripts of all postsecondary education including evidence of bachelor’s degree (an undergraduate major in psychology is preferred, however candidates from other fields will be considered); directly to Marymount University’s Office of Graduate Enrollment Services, 2807 N. Glebe Road, Arlington, VA 22207, or via an online delivery system
- *Official GRE General Test scores (including the Analytical Writing score) – School Code 5405 (NOTE: the GRE requirement has been waived for Fall 2021 applications.)
- Two recommendations that speak directly to the applicant’s academic and interpersonal skills using the official recommendation form provided by the Office of Graduate Enrollment Services
- Personal statement, maximum 500 words, describing the applicant’s background and motivation entering the field of study, as well as the applicant’s rationale for applying to Marymount’s Forensic and Legal Psychology program
*The GRE requirement can be waived if the applicant has previously earned a graduate degree from an accredited college or university. GRE waivers may be considered on a case by case basis for exceptional work history in a forensically relevant field. The program will also consider substitution of GRE scores with comparable graduate level standardized exams (e.g., LSAT, GMAT, MCAT, etc.).
Intelligence Studies Concentration Admission Requirements: Forensic and legal psychology students, who are interested in completing the intelligence studies concentration, must meet the following requirements (after at least one semester in the program):
- Declare their intent to complete the concentration by the spring semester of their first year in the program
- Complete a minimum of nine (9) FLP credits per semester of their first year in the program
- Complete FLP 570 with a B or higher
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA 3.0 or advisor approval
Once these criteria are met, students will meet with their academic advisor to complete a Change of Program form in order to formally enter the Intelligence Studies Concentration.
Forensic and Legal Psychology Dual Degree/Counseling with Clinical Mental Health Specialization (M.A./M.A.) Admission Requirements:
To be admitted to this program, students are admitted to one program and must meet the application requirements for each program’s admissions requirements. Students who are admitted from the Forensic and Legal Psychology program can begin classes in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program only after completing 18 Forensic and Legal Psychology program credits and must plan to begin classes in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program in the fall semester immediately following being accepted into the program. Student who are admitted from the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program can begin classes in the Forensic and Legal Psychology program only after completing 40 Clinical Mental Health Counseling program credits.
Additional Requirements for International Students:
For university coursework completed outside the U.S., an official course-by-course evaluation of your transcript is required from an evaluation agency with NACES membership such as World Education Services, Inc. or Educational Credentials Evaluators.
Students for whom English is a second language must submit a recent official score from the TOEFL of 96, IELTS of 6.5, or PTE Academic exam of 58, or documentation of program completion at one of Marymount University’s language partners (ESL, IELTS, or Mentora College).
For more information about International Admissions Guidelines, please click here.
For additional information about the application process, please visit Graduate Enrollment Services.
Enrollment Coordinator Contact Information:
Graduate Enrollment Coordinator
Schedule an appointment with Paige