College of Health and Education
PT, PhD, FAPTA
Dr. Harwood is currently the Professor and Dean of the College of Health and Education at Marymount University, Arlington, Virginia . Dr. Harwood earned his BS in Physical Therapy from the State University of New York at Downstate Medical Center and his MA and PhD degrees from New York University’s Biomechanics and Ergonomics Program. He held academic positions at Columbia University, New York University, George Washington University and SUNY, Health Sciences Center at Brooklyn. In addition, he was the Director of Practice and then the Vice President of the Practice and Education Divisions for the American Physical Therapy Association. Dr. Harwood published and presented nationally and internationally in the area of physical therapy, occupational health, low back pain care and prevention, safe patient handling and movement, leadership and health services research and quality
- Health Services Research
- Learning health systems, quality and safety
- Low back pain
(Past 5 years)
- McDonald PL, van der Wees P, Weaver GC, Harwood K, Corcoran M. Learning Health Systems from an Academic Perspective: Establishing a Collaboratory within a School of Medicine and Health Sciences. Medical Education Online. Medical Education Online,2021 26:1, DOI: 10.1080/10872981.2021.1917038
- McGowan E, Hale J, Bezner J, Harwood K, Green-Wilson J, Stokes E. (2020) Leadership development of health and social care professionals – A systematic review. BMJ Leader. 2020;0:1-8.
- Rugs, D., Powell-Cope, G., Campo, M., Darragh, A., Harwood, K., Kuhn, J., & Rockefeller, K., The use of safe patient handling and mobility equipment in rehabilitation. Work. 1 Jan. 2020: 1 – 11.
- Harwood KJ, McDonald PL, Butler J, Drago D, Schlumpf KS. Comparing student outcomes in traditional vs intensive, online graduate programs in health professional education. BMC Medical Education. 2018 18(1):240 doi: 10.1186/s12909-018-1343-7
- Frogner B, Harwood K,, Andrilla CHA, Schwartz M, Pines JM. Physical Therapy as the First Point of Care to Treat Low Back Pain: An Instrumental Variables Approach to Estimate Impact on Opioid Prescription, Health Care Utilization, and Costs, Health Services Research. 2018 53(6):4629-4646. doi.org/01.1111/1475-6773.12984
- Harwood KJ, Darragh AR, Campo M, Rockefeller K, Scalzetti DA. A systematic review of safe patient handling and mobility programs to prevent musculoskeletal injuries in occupational and physical therapists and assistants. International Journal for Safe Patient Handling and Mobility. 2018;8(1):46-56
- McDonald PL, Harwood KJ, Butler JT, Schlumpf KS, Eschmann CW, Drago D. Design for success: Identifying a process for transitioning to an intensive online course delivery model in health professions education. Med Educ Online. 2018;23(1):1415617. doi: 10.1080/10872981.2017.1415617 [doi].
- Scalzitti DA, Harwood KJ, Maring J, Leach SJ, Ruckert EA, Costello, E. Validation of the 2-minute walk test with the 6-minute walk test and other activity measures in persons with multiple sclerosis. International Journal of MS Care. 2018. 20:158-163.
- Harwood KJ, Scalzitti DA, Campo M, Darragh AR. A systematic review of safe patient handling and mobility programs to improve patient outcomes in rehabilitation. American Journal for Safe Patient Handling and Mobility. 2016. 12(4):141-150.
- Scalzitti, D, Harwood KJ, Campo M. Searching the literature for safe patient handling and mobility. American Journal for Safe Patient Handling and Movement. 2016. 6(1):10-15
- Harwood KJ, Mallinson T, Dietrich N, Maring J, Raetzman S, Rivard P, Weaver J, Woodward R, Schlumpf K, Gold L. FASI Performance Measures Summary Report, CMS. CMS Report, Fall, 2018, Document created under contract Modified HHSM-500-2010-0025I-T006 from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (Embargoed)
- Mallison T, Dietrich CN, Harwood K, Maring J, Lyons L, Gaskin S, Gorsky A, Weaver J, Rivard P, Woodward R, Stokes T, Gold L. Functional Assessment Standardized Items (FASI) Final report. Document created under contract HHSM-500-2010-0025I-T006 from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, March 30, 2018, https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/ltss/downloads/teft-program/fasi-2017-field-test-report.pdf.
- Gage B, Mallinson T, Lyons L, Maring J, Harwood K, Paudel A, Jackson B, Rivard P, Gold L, Weaver A, & Lida K., TEFT FASI Alpha Test Report., Document created under Contract HHSM-500-2010-0025I-T006 from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, May, 2017