College of Business, Innovation, Leadership and Technology, School of Technology and Innovation
- PhD, Information Science, University Of Sheffield, UK, 1977
- MSc, Library and Information Studies, 1970
- BSc, Chemistry, University of Wales, 1969
Dr. Diane Murphy is the Director of Technology and Innovation at Marymount University and is an accomplished educator in the technology field. She was one of the 12 state-wide recipients of the 2020 Commonwealth of Virginia Outstanding Faculty Award and was awarded the inaugural Distinguished Faculty award by Marymount University’s Halo Committee in 2021.
She began her career in the European pharmaceutical industry and was an early leader in chemical informatics, using technology to predict the biological effects of chemicals. She holds a BSc degree in Chemistry an MSc in Library Science, and a PhD in Information Science.
Dr. Murphy came to the U.S. in 1980 and worked on advanced projects, including early artificial intelligence systems, for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Later in the 1980s and 1990s, Dr. Murphy was a serial entrepreneur founding two technology companies, as well as a not-for-profit to help young entrepreneurs succeed in their initial business ventures.
In 2002, Dr. Murphy joined Marymount University as a full-time professor. She has been instrumental in developing new technology programs at the university including undergraduate and graduate programs. She is known for her innovation in the education field, pioneering the university’s DSc in Cybersecurity and the new DBA in Business Intelligence. She continues to teach in the classroom and conduct contemporary research. She has received a number of grants from the National Science Foundation, National Security Agency, and the Commonwealth Cyber Institute (CCI). She has recently been appointed by the Provost as the Champion for the university’s new Center for the Innovative Workforce.
- Cybersecurity, Software Engineering
- Digital Transformation
- Technology Management
- Business Analytics
- Workforce Readiness
Her current research interests include the technology workforce, detecting and preventing disinformation, trustworthy artificial intelligence, and using technology to age in place.
- Hall, A., Liu, X., & Murphy, D. (2021, October 13-16). Integrating Andragogy Theory into a Multidisciplinary Curriculum to Achieve a Connected Program for a Doctorate in Cybersecurity. Paper Presented and published in the Proceedings of the Frontiers in Education (FIE) Conference, Lincoln, Nebraska
- Liu, X. & Murphy, D. (2021, Sep.30-Oct.1). Building a Skills-focused Educational Pathway in IT/IS Programs to Skill-based Hiring. Paper presented and published in the Proceedings of 2021 SEINFORMS (Southeast INFORMS Conference), Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Green, N., Larasati, S.D., Duro, D., Laskey, K., and Murphy, D.(2021). Fact Repo: A Machine Learning Resource for Identifying and Analyzing Misinformation. Submitted to HT’21 (ACM Hypertext and Social Media 2021)
- Liu, X. & Murphy, D. (2021). “BILT for Success”: An Alternative Education Strategy to Reskill the Business and Technology Professional for a Sustainable Future, Information Systems Education Journal, Vol 19 (7) p4-14. http://isedj.org/2021-19/n2/ISEDJv19n2p4.pdf
- Liu, X. & Murphy, D. (2020). A Multi-Faceted Approach for Trustworthy AI in Cybersecurity, Journal of Strategic Innovation and Sustainability Vol 15(6)
- Green, N., Liu, X. & Murphy, D (2020). Using an Electronic Resume Analyzer Portal (e-RAP) to Improve College Graduates Employability, Information Systems Education Journal Vol 18, pp28-37, 2020
- Green, N., Liu, X. & Murphy, D (2019). Developing an Electronic Resume Analyzer Portal (e-RAP): A Natural Language Processing Approach to Enhance College Graduates Job Readiness, 2019 Proceedings of the EDSIG Conference, Cleveland Ohio November 2019
- Green, N., Liu, X. & Murphy, D (2018). Revisiting an Educator’s Dilemma: Using Natural Language Processing to Analyze the Needs of Employers and Inform Curriculum Development, Proceedings CCSC Eastern Conference, Marymount University, October 2018
- Liu, X. & Murphy, D. (2018, March 23-24), Constructing A Connected Program In IT/IS: A Non-R1 University Case, the Proceedings of 21st Annual Conference of the SAIS (Southern Association for Information Systems), Atlanta, GA.
- Liu, X. & Murphy, D. (2017): Are They Ready? Integrating Workforce Readiness into a Four-Year College IT/IS Curriculum. Paper presented and published in the Proceedings of the 20th SAIS (Southern Association for Information Systems Conference, St. Simons, GA