B.S. Uganda Martyrs University,
M.S. Uganda Martyrs University,
M.S. George Mason University,
PhD George Mason University
Alex is an assistant professor for cybersecurity at Marymount University where he teaches undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral courses. While at George Mason University, he was a Fulbright scholar where he published research on detecting cybercrime using machine learning and natural language processing. He is also a member of the cybersecurity and privacy working group for the Greater Washington Board of Trade. He presents and publishes peer-reviewed research in cybercrime, malware analysis, cyber forensics, privacy, and applied machine learning. He is also a member of professional organizations like IEEE.
Software Testing and Quality Assurance
Applied Machine learning
Deception & Cybercrime
Cyber threat intelligence
Security & Privacy
- Diaz-Gonzalez J., Mbaziira A.V., Liu M (2019), An exploratory deep learning approach to mobile malware detection, Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges 35 (3) ACM, 219-219
- Sabir M.F., Jones J.H., Liu H., Mbaziira A.V(2019), Predicting Stealthy Watermarks in Files Using Deep Learning, 7th International Symposium on Digital Forensics and Security (ISDFS), 1-6
- Sabir, M. F., Jones, J. H., Liu, H., & Mbaziira, A. V. (2019, March). Using Machine Learning to Detect Stealthy Watermarks in Files. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Compute and Data Analysis. ACM, Kahului, Hawaii.
- Mbaziira, A. V., & Murphy, D. R. (2018). An Empirical Study on Detecting Deception and Cybercrime Using Artificial Neural Networks. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Compute and Data Analysis (pp. 42-46). ACM.- Best paper presentation award
- Sabir, M. F., Jones, J. H., Liu, H., & Mbaziira, A. V. (2018, March). A Non-Algorithmic Forensic Approach for Hiding Data in Image Files. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Compute and Data Analysis (pp. 60-64). ACM. – Best paper presentation award
- Maha Sabir, Jim Jones, Liu Hang, Alex Mbaziira, (2018) “A Non-Algorithmic Forensic Approach for Hiding Data in Image Files””, 2018 International Conference on Computing and Data Analysis.
- Maha Sabir, Jim Jones, Liu Hang, Alex Mbaziira, (2017) “” A File-Type Independent Approach to Persistent Forensic Watermarks for Cyber Analysis “”, International Conference on Computing and Technology
- Alex Mbaziira, Jim Jones (2017) “” Hybrid Text-based Deception Models for Native and Non-Native English Cybercriminal Networks””, 2017 International Conference on Computing and Data Analysis, pp 23-27, ACM.
- Alex Mbaziira, Jim Jones (2016) “”A Text-based Deception Detection Model for Cybercrime””, 3rd International Conference on Technology and Management (ICTM)
- Alex Mbaziira, Ehab Abozinadah, James Jones, (2015) “”Evaluating Classifiers in Detecting 419 Scams in Bilingual Cybercriminal Communities””. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security 7: 1-7 (Best Paper Award).
- Ehab Abozinadah, Alex Mbaziira, James Jones, (2015) “”Detection of Abusive Accounts with Arabic Tweets””. 4th International Conference on Knowledge Discovery (ICKD) 2: 113-119.
- Hamed Sarvari, Ehab Abozinadah, Alex Mbaziira, Damon McCoy, (2014) “”Constructing and Analyzing Criminal Networks””. In Security and Privacy Workshops (SPW), 2014 IEEE (pp. 84-91). IEEE.