Other Types of Aid

Federal Work Study

This program makes on-campus jobs available to full-time students who demonstrate need based on the FAFSA.

Veterans Benefits

Students eligible for educational benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (the VA), including veterans, current service members, reservists, and some dependents, must file for benefits through the Office of the Registrar. These benefits include educational assistance allowances.

Marymount University participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, a new provision of the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Bill offers qualifying veterans reimbursement for tuition and fees equivalent to the most expensive public higher education institution in the state, which can also be used to attend a private institution. In addition, allowances are available for housing, books, and supplies. The Yellow Ribbon Program gives private colleges and universities like Marymount the option to provide additional funds, with matching payments from the VA.

Under this program, for academic year 2015-16, Marymount will provide up to 75 grants of $2,000 each to eligible veterans pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees. The VA will match that amount, so veterans can receive a total of $4,000 a year to attend Marymount through the Yellow Ribbon Program. (This is in addition to the other benefits included in the Post-9/11 GI Bill.) Recipients will be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program grant each year that they are enrolled in their academic program and achieve satisfactory progress toward their degree.

Veterans are eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program if they have served at least 36 months of active duty since September 10, 2001, or were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-related disability and served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001. In addition, dependents of veterans are eligible if they qualify for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on the veteran’s service under these eligibility criteria.

Veterans may also be eligible for other financial aid, including need-and merit-based scholarships. Plus, Virginia residents enrolled in select programs and attending Marymount, or another private college in the state are eligible for a Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant.

For additional information contact Daniella Alexander at 703-908-7831, and visit the Military Families Web page.

Catholic School Employees

Employees of Catholic schools specified by the university are eligible for a 50% tuition waiver for undergraduate and graduate Education programs and the graduate School Counseling program (waiver does not apply to a reduced-tuition programs) under the following conditions:

  • The individual must be employed on a full-time basis in a position in teaching, senior administration, and/or school counseling.
  • The individual must be employed by a diocesan school in the Diocese of Arlington, Virginia, or the Archdiocese of Washington, DC. To learn about other Catholic schools specified for eligibility under this program, contact Marymount’s School of Education and Human Services.
  • Requests for additional courses and/or programs covered under this waiver after the first degree is obtained will be considered on an individual basis.
  • Verification from the employee’s school, written by the principal on school letterhead, attesting to the eligibility for a waiver must be provided at the beginning of the program and each year thereafter at the beginning of the fall semester. This verification must be sent to Marymount’s Office of Student Accounts.

Senior Citizen Waiver

Marymount offers persons age 65 or older a tuition waiver of 50% for graduate courses. Applicants must first meet all regular admission criteria for programs.

Additional Resources

Additional funding and financial support may be available through a variety of private foundations, organizations, and professional groups. You are encouraged to review Internet sources, such as www.fastweb.com, to increase your aid options.