Why Service Matters
Points of Light is a global nonprofit organization that inspires, equips and mobilizes millions of people to take action that changes the world. We envision a world in which every individual discovers the power to make a difference, creating healthy communities in vibrant, participatory societies
How will students make a difference?
When students learn and serve with purpose, they engage with their campus, local, and global communities in meaningful ways. The Saints’ Center for Service provides access to programs and opportunities that connect students with more than 100 community partners working toward improving the lives of some of society’s most vulnerable populations. Through community engagement, students gain connections with their peers, explore career opportunities, develop interpersonal and leadership skills, and put into practice what it means to think globally and act locally. The Center is ready to help students find their path to meaningful volunteerism. Find your path today!
Find Service Opportunities
MUEngage is a digital platform designed to connect students to events, opportunities, and resources on campus. MUEngage also houses all service opportunites at Marymount university, facilitated by our student organizations, campus offices, academic schools, faculty, and staff. Log in using your Marymount credentials to activate your account. Find service opportunities by clicking on the Events tab and filtering by Theme: Service. Learn more about using MUEngage
Service Learning Courses
- Many of our courses include service learning opportunities. Service-learning refers to learning that actively involves students in a wide range of experiences, which often benefit others and the community, while also advancing the goals of a given curriculum. Community-based service activities are paired with structured preparation and student reflection.
- Global Service Learning: Through programming such as the Local to Global Initiative, MU students learn to think critically about global issues and become engaged citizens of the world. Learn more
Service-related Internships/Job Opportunities
Find opportunities with local government, nonprofit, and grassroots advocacy organizations. For more information, contact the Center for Career Services
Develop Service Opportunities
MU students bring with them a diverse set of experiences and interests. As they continue to engage in community service, students may wish to develop their own initiatives and engage their peers in the causes they are passionate about. The Saints’ Center for Service has the resources to help them convert passion into action:
- Student Toolkits: The resources found in this toolkit provide students with a framework for developing, implementing, and reflecting on meaningful service. These resources serve as catalysts for further education, inspiring, and strengthening student engagement with our communities. Toolkit coming soon
- Points of Light Passion Into Action Guide: Points of Light is a global nonprofit organization that inspires, equips and mobilizes millions of people to take action that changes the world. We envision a world in which every individual discovers the power to make a difference, creating healthy communities in vibrant, participatory societies. View here
- Publicize Your Event: Let Marymount and the world know about an upcoming event! Work with our team to promote your volunteer event on Engage and through the Saints’ Center for Service social media accounts. If you would like the Marymount Creative Services team to publicize your event, please fill out the Creative Services Request online form.
- Apply for Funding: The Sister Machado Service Fund grants $100-$500 mini-grants to students, student groups, faculty, and staff demonstrating a need for resources to propel a program, event, or other service-related activity that focuses on engaging in meaningful service. Contact us at email@example.com to learn more.
- Schedule a Consultation: The Saints’ Center for Service is located on the first floor of Gerard Hall, room 1034. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at (703) 908-7785 to schedule an individualized consultation and learn how we can support your ideas.
To access our Student Service Toolkits and Saints’ Center for Service presentations, please visit our MUEngage page.
For more information on virtual and in-person volunteer opportunities, check out the following websites:
- Campus Compact
- Volunteer Arlington
- Volunteer Fairfax
- Points of Light
- Arlington County Civic Engagement