The nearby resources of Washington, DC offer abundant and exciting career opportunities for sociology majors. Sociology majors gain practical work experience by completing an internship (SOC 400) during their senior year.
SOC 400 requires students complete a semester long placement for 120 hours of supervised work and the related academic requirements. Working with their advisor, students select the placement that best meets their career goals.
Example of internship placements include:
- Bonder & Amanda Johnson Community Development Corporation (Now – Bridges to Independence)
- Bailey’s Crossroads Community Shelter
- Tenants and Workers United
- Community Gardens, D.C. Department of Parks & Recreation
- Offender Restoration of Arlington
- Northern Virginia Family Services
- The Shepherd Program Internship Program
- Earth Day Network
- Youth Service America