As part of our RSHM identity, Marymount University strives to bring people of all backgrounds together to create a vibrant learning community. Through support services, student organizations, and community-wide events, we offer an inclusive and welcoming environment for all. International students are an integral part of Marymount University, providing the campus community with an opportunity to learn about the richness of different cultures around the world. Approximately 14% of Marymount University’s student body comes from overseas, representing over 68 countries. Marymount’s International Student & Scholar Services Office (ISSS) is dedicated to providing students with a comfortable and supportive environment that facilitates adjustment and promotes personal growth and academic success. We are committed to supporting you during your time at Marymount and beyond.
The ISSS Office provides the following services for new and continuing students:
- Immigration advising
- Acquaintance with on-campus services for students
- Cultural and educational programs
- Academic support
- Handouts on U.S. and Marymount’s Policies and Procedures
- Confidential cross-cultural counseling
Ashley Bus Morgan
Ashley’s Global Bucket List:
- Visit all 7 continents
- Go on an Alaskan cruise
- Visit Keukenhof for the tulip festival in Amsterdam
- Take her family to see the places where she lived abroad
Veronica’s Global Bucket List:
- Practice her French and eat a croissant while visiting the Eiffel Tower
- Visit all the Disney Parks across the world
- Dance Sevillans at the Feria de Abril in Seville, Spain
- Visit every country in Latin America
- Volunteer at an Animal Sanctuary in South East Asia
- Visit a Waterfall in Antalya, Turkey
- Stay in a seaside villa in Mykonos, Greece
Juan is originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina. He came to the U.S. in 2013 to study and play rugby. Juan graduated in 2017 with a degree in Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design. Juan lived in Albuquerque New Mexico, Saint Charles Missouri, and Richmond Virginia before moving to Arlington. His most favorite place in the world is La Patagonia, he goes hiking there almost every year. In his free time, Juan enjoys cycling and long walks.
Juan worked for three years for a D.C.-based communications company before joining Marymount in 2020. He is currently pursuing a Master’s degree in Information Technology – Data Science. Juan is very enthusiastic about helping students and enjoys having people stop by the office.
Juan’s Global Bucket List
- Go to Iceland to hike and camp in the middle of nowhere.
- Go on a trip across Europe visiting as many countries as possible and eating all the local foods.
- Backpack in Machu Picchu.
- Visit again Kalymnos, Greece where part of his family came from.
ISSS Peer Advisors
International Student Peer Advisor
Krissha is an International student from the Philippines. She came to the U.S in April 2013. She is a senior studying Information Technology with minors in Computer Science and Information Systems. She plans on doing her Master’s after her graduation at Marymount. Aside from being a Student Assistant in the ISSS Office, she’s also a Student Ambassador in the Admissions Office. She gives tours to prospective students, who are interested in studying at Marymount. Some activities that Krissha likes to do in her free time are going to the gym, hiking, and watching. One fact about Krissha is she was part of the Archery team in her high school.
Krissha’s Global Bucket List:
- Visit and explore the seven wonders of the world
- Explore Santorini, Greece
- See the Northern Lights in Iceland
- Visit Seoul, Korea
- Island hopping in the Philippines
Global Education Peer Advisor
Ayana Gaskins is from Bethesda, Maryland, who is currently in her junior year, studying nursing. She has lived in Niigata, Japan during her summer breaks to visit family and attend school. Ayana stays in touch with her Japanese heritage by communicating with her family in Japanese, and indulge in the large variety of Japanese cuisines by cooking or eating out. Her favorite place is Colorado, because of the endless amount of breathtaking nature, and she hopes to live there one day as a nurse. In her free time, she likes to hike, or catch up on Netflix shows and movies.
Ayana’s Global Bucket List:
- Stay in an overwater Bungalow in Bora Bora
- Hike and kayak through Banff National Park
- Walk through Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia, the world’s largest salt flat
- Go camping in Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Park
- Visit Lake Tekapo and walk through the wild lupine field
- Watch the Northern lights in Iceland
Mariajose “MJ” Pineda
Special Projects Coordinator
Mariajose is an International student from Honduras, who is currently in her junior year at Marymount University, double majoring in Fashion Design and Fashion Merchandising with a minor in Sociology. Traveling plays a huge role in her life to get inspired for her Fashion lines; it is an opportunity to enrich her education on the fashion industry, and not just that but to understand global trends, makeup, photography, colors, textiles, architectures, art galleries, museums, and even foods from other countries. Her favorite city in Latin America is Cartagena, Colombia. She loved the art, architecture, fashion trends and how traveling to Cartagena helped her chose her major. After she finishes with college, she wants to work in Tokyo, Japan for her favorite designer and then wants to get her Masters in Human Resources.
MJ’s Global Bucket List:
- Beach break to The Sarojin in Thailand
- Attend to Tokyo Fashion show
- Try all the desserts in “Dessert Kitchen” in Hong Kong
- Do a tasting at Santo Wines Winery in Santorini
- Explore the Alexander Palace in Russia
- Visit the Yuyuan Garden in Shanghai
- Learn about the Tea Culture in Taiwan