Professional Licensure and Certification

Professional licensure or certification is a way to ensure that a practitioner in that profession meets certain requirements in knowledge, skill, and experience. Licensure or certification is often related to public safety or consumer protection and is generally regulated at the state or territorial level through licensing authorities in that state or territory where the professional intends to work. The information provided below is designed to provide prospective and currently enrolled students with guidance about whether Marymount’s programs meets licensing or certification requirements in these areas.

Does This Program Meet Licensure Requirements in My State?

Each state and territory in the United States has different professional licensure and certification requirements. Marymount University works to confirm if our programs that prepare students for licensure or certification meet the educational prerequisites for professional licensure or certification outside the state of Virginia. States and territories may also have additional requirements for licensure and certification that go beyond these educational prerequisites and may include professional examinations, background checks, years of work experience, fingerprinting requirements, and more.

Individuals wishing to be licensed in the United States must become aware of licensure requirements for the state in which they would like to work. Students who are considering an academic program that may allow them to pursue professional licensure or certification in their state or territory are strongly encouraged to check their state’s or territory’s information below and contact the appropriate licensing agency to seek information and additional guidance before beginning a program outside of their state. Licensing board and contact information is provided for each state and program. Licensure information is reviewed and updated on this site in May of each year.

Do Requirements Change?

Please be aware that state and territory licensing requirements are subject to change. While a program may originally meet the educational requirements for licensure, changes in requirements could impact the program’s ability to meet any new educational requirements. Students should always check with their state licensure board to confirm licensure requirements.

What Happens If You Relocate During the Course of a Program?:

Prospective and currently enrolled students should remember that licensing and certification requirements often vary by state and that relocating during the course of a program can affect whether or not that program will continue to meet state requirements for licensure and/or continue to qualify a student to receive financial aid funding. Please be sure to check state requirements and to notify both the university and the program in writing of your new address.

State Requirements for Licensure and Certification

Please select the program you are interested in to find state board information and whether Marymount’s program meets the educational requirements for licensure and certification in your state.

If you have questions about other academic programs at Marymount University, please contact those programs directly.