- You must have been in lawful nonimmigrant status for one academic year (unless the training is a degree requirement during the first year of enrollment).
- You must currently be in F-1 status.
- Training program must be a requirement and an integral part of your degree program and it must also reflect as a credit-bearing course.
There are two different ways to obtain CPT authorization, which are based on education level and course type:
CPT: Required Internship Class
Undergraduate students that complete their professional internship information through Handshake with the Center for Career Services will automatically have CPT added to their I-20 once their internship has been approved, and they have been registered for their internship. Students will be issued a new I-20 with their internship information listed on it. Students must have an I-20 issued to them before they start their internship.
CPT: Outside Registered Internship Class
Graduate students and undergraduate students not completing their professional internship need to follow the steps below to receive CPT authorization.
Obtain a letter from the employer, on company letterhead, including the following information:
- Job title and brief description of duties to be performed
- Dates of employment (beginning date [mm/dd/yy] to end date [mm/dd/yy]). The dates of employment should be within the course registration dates.
- Number of work hours per week (up to 20 unless specified by academic advisor that additional hours are needed to fulfill academic requirements)
Take the job offer to your Academic Advisor to determine how this opportunity relates to your course of study and how it fits into the framework of existing courses (internship courses, thesis research, etc.).
Ask your Academic Advisor to complete the Academic Advisor Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Application.
Set up a meeting with an ISS Advisor and bring your completed application packet for Curricular Practical Training to the appointment. An International Student Advisor at ISS will review your request. If your request for CPT is approved, they will update the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and generate a new I-20 indicating approval for this employment. You will be notified of the approval and if necessary asked to come back to ISS to sign and pick up your new I-20.