- Marymount University understands that many high school students’ grades have been affected by circumstances related to COVID-19, perhaps due to the challenges of online learning or illness within the family.
- Many students have academic promise, but recent transcripts might not reflect full potential, which may be interfering with college or university acceptances.
- The Blue Shirt program, a pilot program that Marymount is offering for summer 2021, gives 2021 high school graduates a second chance to show their potential college-level success, by honing their academic skills.
- Students take two college-level courses over the summer and participate in supplemental activities to build academic skills while earning credits at a reduced cost.
- Students who successfully complete the program are guaranteed admission at Marymount University for the Fall 2021 semester.
- This six week (June 28-August 6) pilot program has a limited number of seats, with two possible tracks. All Blue Shirt students will take a college success skills course, and students will take either a writing course or a math course, depending on their needs, intended major(s), and course availability.
- Hybrid in nature, with synchronous and asynchronous online elements and some face-to-face opportunities for learning and engagement (all with appropriate social distancing protocols in place).
What’s In It for You?
- Improve your learning and study skills, such as time management and note taking, that will serve you in your college career and beyond, through a SEM 101 (Success and Excellence at Marymount) course.
- Earn credits at a lower cost than during a normal fall or spring semester, completing SEM 101 and either a writing or math course, which are foundational for any undergraduate degree.
- Earn 5-6 credits based on your needs, placement scores, and intended major(s).
- Build relationships with other recent high school graduates and with the program’s peer mentors and student supplemental instructors.
- Take advantage of opportunities including a complete orientation to Marymount University, Career Development counseling, peer tutoring, and professional Academic Advising.
Cost to Participate
- $2,000 for 6-week program.
- An institutional award may be afforded to students who demonstrate financial need as determined by the Department of Education; a 2021-2022 FAFSA must be completed. For information, contact Financial Aid at email@example.com.
- Cost of the program will be rebated to students who enroll at Marymount, with a 25% rebate at the end of each successful semester (minimum semester and overall GPA of 2.0) and with registration for the next semester.
- On-campus housing is available at an additional cost. For information, contact Residential Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How is Success as a Blue Shirt Defined?
- Earn a grade of at least a B (3.0) in both the SEM 101 course and the writing or math course.
- Participate fully in the non-graded elements, such as sessions with peer tutor.
- Earn the endorsement of instructors, peer mentors, and student instructors, based on defined criteria to determine college readiness.
How to Apply
- Fill out this form for the Blue Shirt program.
- Complete an application to Marymount University through Undergraduate Admissions (an application fee waiver code is available in the Blue Shirt form above).
- Complete a financial aid application. Use the How to Apply page or contact Financial Aid at email@example.com for more information.
- After acceptance into the program, complete Direct Self Placements in writing and math.
- If you would like to live on campus for the six weeks of the Blue Shirt Program (at an additional cost), please contact Residential Life at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
For more information, contact Undergraduate Admissions at email@example.com.