Sigma Tau Delta Honor Society
Both undergraduate and graduate students who demonstrate strong academic performance are eligible for membership in Sigma Tau Delta, the international English Honor Society, which sponsors a visiting scholar lecture each fall.
Lectures, Presentations, and Theater outings
- Faculty share their research and creative work with students at Works-in-Progress presentations every semester.
- Visiting poets bring their latest work to campus each semester. Recent guests include Carolyn Forche, Linda Pastan, Jamaal May, and Kyle Dargan.
- The department regularly sponsors discount student theater outings to performances at many local venues including Arena Stage, the Kennedy Center, and the Shakespeare Theater Company.
- The annual Student Research Conference provides an opportunity for majors to share their outstanding research with a University wide audience.
- Magnificat: A Journal of Undergraduate Nonfiction is published once a year, and it represents the strongest submitted student essays crafted as assignment responses.
- blueInk, Marymount’s annual creative journal, publishes poetry, fiction, and visual art.
Online communities provide yet another public forum for students and faculty. Connect with us on Facebook (@marymount.english), Twitter (@MU_English), and Instagram (@mu_litlang).
The department blog, A Literary Newsletter, helps students, faculty, and alums communicate about on-campus and Washington-area literary events.
The faculty at Marymount largely shaped my experience, and my relationships with my professors are some of my fondest memories. I think the personalized attention I received from faculty significantly contributed to my success. In addition, my degree prepared me well for a job in publishing, and for graduate school.
–Adrianne Morris, Class of ’12, Adjunct Professor & Online Editor