Many students interested in graduate study in human resources are aware of the fact that broader business issues – economics, finance, and marketing – are driving many business decisions. In addition, many M.B.A. students recognize the advantages of an industry-specific degree. In response, Marymount offers a dual degree: the Master of Business Administration and Master of Arts in Human Resource Management.
This dual degree program will prepare students for managing responsibilities in HR departments, while enabling them to participate effectively in companywide discussions of broader strategic issues. These degrees will prepare students for executive-level responsibilities in human resource departments by better enabling them to understand the business context within which human resource decisions are made. Graduates will be able to:
- Identify and solve complex human resource problems using integrative business knowledge
- Resolve ethical human resource issues
- Effectively communicate and work with others
This dual degree can be completed in 57 credit hours. Consult with an advisor about structuring your program of study.
In making decisions for admission, Marymount University takes a holistic approach to application review.
Fall Enrollment: July 16th
Spring Enrollment: November 16th
Summer Enrollment: April 16th
Individuals interested in this dual degree program are encouraged to enroll in it when first applying to the University. The requirements for both programs must be met in order to be admitted into the dual degree program. However, students can apply to enroll in the dual program after they have already begun their studies in either the M.B.A. or M.A. in Human Resource Management. The Office of Graduate Enrollment Services will assist students with application procedures.
Additional Requirements for International Students:
For university coursework completed outside the U.S., an official course-by-course evaluation of your transcript is required from an evaluation agency with NACES membership such as World Education Services, Inc. or Educational Credentials Evaluators.
Students for whom English is a second language must submit a recent official score from the TOEFL of 96, IELTS of 6.5, or PTE Academic exam of 58, or documentation of program completion at one of Marymount University’s language partners (ESL, IELTS, LADO, or Mentora College).
For more information about International Admissions Guidelines, please click here.
For additional information about the application process, please visit Graduate Enrollment Services.
Enrollment Coordinator Contact Information:
Graduate Enrollment Coordinator
Schedule an appointment with Paige
Minimum Grade Requirements
For students in dual degree programs, the minimum grade requirement for each degree remains in effect. For students in the Business Administration/Human Resource Management dual degree program, all course requirements drawn from the M.A. in Human Resource Management must be completed with a B- or better. Courses drawn from the M.B.A. program must be completed with a C or better. All graduate SBA students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Dual Degree Requirements
Courses are listed in recommended sequence of enrollment.
- MBA 511 Management Foundations
- MBA 514 Business Analytics
- MBA 512 Accounting for Managers
- MBA 515 Management of Organizations
- MBA 516 Business Law and Ethics
- MBA 519 Operations Management
- MBA 520 Economics for Managers
- MBA 517 Leading in Business or MGT 515 Leading and Managing Teams
- MBA 521 Marketing Concepts and Practice
- MBA 522 Corporate Finance
- MBA 585 Global Business Experience or HRM 585 Global Human Resource Issues
- OD 521 Organization Development and Change Management
- OD 523 Executive Coaching
- HRM 534 Total Pay Perspective
- HRM 538 Human Resource Selection and Recruitment
- HRM 539 Performance Management
- MBA 626 Strategic Management Seminar
- HRM 533 Strategic Human Resource Management
- One (1) Elective