Pre-Arrival Immigration Information

Prior to your arrival in the United States, you will need to apply for a Visa and pay the $350 SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) fee. More information about SEVIS can be found at Immigration and Legal Responsibilities.

Watch the immigration responsibilities tutorial here

You must pay the fee before applying for your Visa. Here are the steps you should follow once you have received your I-20 from Admissions:

SEVIS Fee Requirements for F-1 Students:

  • Find Form I-901 at
  • Complete the form online. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your form, I-20. Marymount’s school code is WAS 214F00223000.  Your SEVIS identification number is the number that begins with the letter “N” located on the top right corner of your form I-20 right above the bar code. Supply the necessary Visa, MasterCard, or American Express information.
  • Print a copy of the online receipt.
  • Be sure to make a copy of your receipt and keep it with your other important immigration documents.

Visa Information:


Please read carefully the restrictions and responsibilities on page 3 of the I-20.

To obtain an F-1 student visa, you must contact your nearest U.S. Consulate office to make an appointment and inquire about an F-1 student visa, procedures, and processing time. Be prepared to present at least the following documents:

  • Form I-20
  • Letter of Admission to Marymount
  • Financial Documents (financial guarantee, scholarship awards, bank statements, etc.)
  • SEVIS fee receipt from
  • Evidence to prove intent to return to your home country upon completion of studies

At the U.S. Port of Entry, you must present:

  • Passport with a valid F-1 visa stamp
  • Original Form I-20
  • Supporting documents given to you by Marymount or the U.S. Consulate such as your Admission Letter to Marymount or Class Schedule

At the U.S. Port of Entry, you will receive:

  • A red and blue entry stamp on the visa page of your Passport
  • An electronic I-94, which you can retrieve here

Note: You are strongly urged to refrain from entering the United States on a tourist (B-2) Visa unless it is stamped, “Prospective Student.” Otherwise, it will be difficult to change to an F-1 visa once you enter the U.S.