Come learn about the Gerontological Society of America (GSA) Student Chapter.
Wednesday, November 16th, 2 – 3 pm.
Ballston 2nd floor
Free Pizza and drinks!
Dr. Eric Bubar & Dr. Cathy Elrod will be joining us to share their experience on:
- How virtual reality can be used in exercise for older adults.
- How falls prevention enhances optimal aging.
Aging Research and Geriatric Rehabilitation. Time to retreat or to advance?
Presenter: Manuel Montero-Odasso, MD, PhD , FRCPC
Professor and Faculty Scholar
University of Western Ontario, Canada
Moderator: Patricia C. Heyn, Ph.D., FGSA, FACRM
Founding Director Center for Optimal Aging
Arlington, Virginia, United States
- define and describe Post Acute Sequelae of Sars-CoV-2 (PASC).
- describe PASC management strategies.
- list and describe PASC-related self-advocacy strategies
- Upon completion, participants will be able to list and describe several different types of biomarkers that have been and can be used in combination for increased precision of measurement in ABI and TBI research.
- Upon completion participants will be able to discuss and describe several domains of brain injury research with enhanced findings when using multimodal biomarkers.
- Upon completion, participants will be able to discuss key preliminary findings of a scoping review of multimodal biomarkers in use with TBI and ABI research.
- Upon completion, participants will be able to describe information and potential research foci from a case series looking at symptoms and outcomes of Long-COVID patients with ADHD/concussion/TBI/substance misuse history
The MU speaker series was an evening of conversations exploring ageism, caretaking, economics, harsh realities, and boundless joy through the lens of Duty-Free. The inspiring documentary presented the bucket list adventure of a lifetime. When Rebecca lost her job at 75, Sian-Pierre asked her to think about everything she could never do while she was working. Their quest to fulfill that list brought all of us into the larger conversation about the very real hopes, fears, and challenges of aging optimally when your resources have all but disappeared.
Sian-Pierre Regis, son, director, and activist; Rebecca Danigelis, mother, adventurer, and activist; Marta Hill Gray, Director of Culpepper Gardens; Rita Wong, Marymount University Associate Vice-President of Research; and Ramsey Alwin, CEO of National Council on Aging, discussed the film, the important facts about aging and caregiving, and the impact it can make in this community.
- identify at least 1 strategy to support racial/ethnic minority graduate students and early career researchers in academia
- identify methods to enhance the mentorship experience with rehabilitation researchers who identify as members of racial/ethnic minority groups
- describe strategies to support mentees who speak English as a second language.
- list strategies to identify a research topic/research mentor that aligns with your career progression
- identify which type of mentors are most helpful for attendees’ growth and development considering their career and personal values at a particular stage.
- define ambient intelligence for assisted living
- name three examples of ambient intelligence for adults living with dementia
- discuss the advantages and disadvantages of ambient technology for dementia care
- identify strategies to exploit the interpersonal and motor learning strengths of individuals with dementia in the rehabilitation environment.
- describe the characteristics of exercise in improving the quality of life among individuals living with vascular dementia.
- List the benefits of neurologic music therapy and training in Huntington’s and Parkinson’s disease
- List exercise prescription used during high-intensity interval training in Parkinson’s disease.
- list exercise prescriptions for AD.
Eric J. Bubar, Associate Professor of Engineering
Beltsville, Maryland, United States
Julie D. Ries, PT, PhD
Professor of Physical Therapy; Research Fellow for Center for Optimal Aging
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
Patricia C. Heyn, PhD, FGSA, FACRM
Center for Optimal Aging
Arlington, Virginia, United States
NVFPA is excited to introduce Carmen Melendez-Pastor, the new NVFPA Outreach Assistant. Carmen will serve our Hispanic/Latin populations, and she speaks fluent Spanish. We offer Spanish fall prevention presentations, Matter of Balance, and SAIL. Please help us spread the word! Carmen can be reached at email@example.com