Student Life

Types of Off-Campus Employment

Curricular Practical Training
F-1 students may participate in a training program, which is a required and integral part of the established curriculum. This might include internships or alternate work/study. Students must fill out an application and get a notation on the I-20 form authorizing employment and signed by the DSO at the International Student Services (ISS) office prior to any employment. Learn more about Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

Internship with an International Organization
Students participating in short-term internships or employment with recognized international organizations, such as the World Bank or the Inter-American Development Bank, are eligible to apply for work permission from DHS.

Optional Practical Training
Optional practical training directly related to the current major is permitted part-time during studies or full-time during annual vacations and after the completion of studies. An F-1 student is eligible for 12 months of full-time optional practical training per degree level. Students may be able to apply for a one-time 17-month extension through the STEM program if they qualify. Students must fill out an application, get a recommendation from the Designated School Official and apply to USCIS. Learn more about Optional Practical Training (OPT).