Home >  Student Life >  Internships & Careers >  Internships & Experiential Learning >  Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for International Students  

Student Life

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for International Students

I want to look for an internship. As an international student, where do I start?
For questions regarding immigration, visas, and curricular practical training (CPT) sponsorship and eligibility consult the MU International Student Services Office director or assistant director at iss@marymount.edu or visit the ISS website for more information.

Also, for career field-specific internship assistance you should make an appointment with your Academic Internship Mentor (AIM)/Faculty Advisor in your major (consult your academic department for help). This meeting should also include advice on where to look for internships in your field and how to register for the experience in a timely fashion.

Additionally, if you’d like to meet with a career counselor to discuss your internship search contact the Center for Career Services by phone at (703) 284-5960 or via email at career.services@marymount.edu
Counselors can help you with internship and job search questions and assist you with resume or cover letter development; visit the Career Services’s website for more information. You can also attend an internship preparation workshop sponsored by the Center for Career Services. RSVP to attend these workshops via your Jobs4Saints account. Also, check out internship and job listings via Jobs4Saints and several online resources and databases found on the Center for Career Services’s website.

What do I need to do in order to hold an internship off campus while I'm in school?

You will need to meet with a staff member in the MU International Student Services Office (ISS) to ensure that you are eligible to work while you are in school, and you will need to find an internship position that relates to your area of study. The ISS Office can provide you with guidance regarding the process; you can also consult with your Academic Advisor and Career Services. Remember that you must find an internship position that is strictly related to your field of study.
Am I allowed to get paid while I do my internship?
Before accepting any paid internship, consult with the staff at the International Student Services Office to determine if you are eligible to have a work authorization through Curricular Practical Training (CPT); otherwise, you could violate your F-1 status. Visit MU's ISS Office, which is located on the first floor of Gerard Hall (Room 130), or call (703) 526-6922, or email iss@marymount.edu.

I don't know what I want to do for work. What should I do?

Need help narrowing down your career focus? Try navigating the Explore Careers section of the Career Services website for online resources available to you. Or make an appointment with a Career Coach for advising or ideas on how to use your degree. You can also visit the Career Services Resource Library located in their office, Rowley Hall - Suite 1005, for more information on what you can do with your degree.
Are there links on the Career Services website for international students interested in exploring internship opportunities?
Yes! You'll find those on the online resources page under Resumes & Resources. Scroll to links for "International Students" then visit the links of interest.

What if I have a question that hasn't been answered here?

One of the most effective ways to get answers and plan for your internship search is to meet with your Academic Advisor, then with both the ISS and the Career Services staff. To make an appointment for general or career field-specific internship counseling, simply call the Career Services at (703) 284-5960.