Marymount’s signature building, the Main House, was once the home of Admiral Presley M. Rixey, naval surgeon general and personal physician to Presidents Theodore Roosevelt and William McKinley. He personally supervised its construction in 1919 and 1920, after the original farmhouse on the property burned down.
When Marymount was established in 1950 by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary, the entire campus community – including 13 students that first year – lived in the Main House.
Today, this beautiful Georgian residence is used for a variety of special activities – from poetry readings and events that honor student achievement to receptions for visiting dignitaries. An invitation to the Main House is always something special for members of the Marymount community!