Here are some helpful resources developed by our staff regarding first-year student transitions.
There are also many wonderful books available regarding parenting college students. Some of the most popular books include:
- Don't Tell Me What to Do, Just Send Money: The Essential Parenting Guide to the College Years, by Helen E. Johnson, Christine Schelhas-Miller
- Letting Go: A Parents' Guide to Understanding the College Years, by Karen Levin Coburn and Madge Lawrence Treeger
- Let the Journey Begin: A Parent's Monthly Guide to the College Experience, by Jacqueline Kiernan MacKay
- When Kids Go to College: A Parents Guide to Changing Relationships, by Barbara M. Newman and Philip Newman
- You're on Your Own (But I'm Here if You Need Me): Mentoring Your Child During the College Years, by Marjorie Savage
Beloit University compiles a list every year that they've named the "Mindset List
." This list details the mindset of an incoming freshman for that year. While you've lived through everything with them, sometimes it's helpful to take a look at this list to get a sense of their mindset from a different perspective.