Home >  Parents & Family >  Academic FAQs  

Parents & Family

Academic FAQs

What is an “academic advisor” and how does my student find out who his/her advisor is?
A student’s academic advisor is usually a faculty member from the department or academic School of his/her major or a professional advisor from the Center for Teaching and Learning. The academic advisor will assist your student in selecting classes for each semester, planning a multiyear schedule of courses, discussing major options, and helping to resolve any academic problems. Your student has been instructed to find the name of his or her advisor by contacting the School, the Center for Teaching and Learning, or looking on Marynet. If your student has difficulty contacting his/her advisor, he or she can also be helped by the chairperson of his or her academic department or the director of the Center for Teaching and Learning.

I thought Marymount University was “the school”! What is this talk about “schools”?
Marymount University is made up of four Schools: Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Education and Human Services, and the Malek School of Health Professions. Each School is then broken down into departments, which house academic programs of study.

How many credits should my student plan to take each semester?
A typical full-time undergraduate takes 15 credit hours each fall and spring semester. In order to be considered full time (which can affect health insurance, housing, and financial aid), your student must be enrolled for 12-18 credit hours.

What is in the course catalog?
Each year, Marymount publishes an Undergraduate Catalog and a Graduate Catalog. Each catalog details every program’s requirements and lists the courses offered. Since the catalog can change from year to year, students must follow the catalog published for the year they entered Marymount. Catalogs are available in the Academic Affairs and the Admissions offices, or online.

When and how will my student register for his or her next semester’s classes?
Students will register toward the end of each semester for classes for the upcoming semester. Typically, registration occurs between mid-October and mid-November for the spring semester, and between mid-March and mid-April for summer and fall semester classes. Students register randomly by the number of credit hours they have; i.e. seniors register first, followed by juniors, etc. Each group has a priority period during which they register. If your student misses his or her registration date, he or she must wait until the end of the assigned registration period to enroll in classes. All registration is done online through Marynet.

How do students add or withdraw from (drop) courses?
Students may add or drop courses at designated times throughout the semester. Before the semester begins, students may make changes as needed to their schedule. After the first day of classes each semester, students typically have one week to add more courses. Students may drop courses without a notation on their academic record within the first five weeks of the semester (actual dates for each semester are listed on the Registrar’s website). After the first drop deadline, students may still drop a course, but will receive a W (withdrawal) grade. W grades are not figured into the grade point average, but they do appear on the student’s transcript. The withdrawal deadline is typically ten weeks into the semester. After the withdrawal deadline, the student must receive a grade between A and F.

How do students find out their grades each semester?
A grade report is issued twice a semester: at midterms and at the end of the term. Grades are not mailed to students; rather, they can find out their grades on Marynet, the online student information system. Every instructor determines his/her own requirements, so students must read each course syllabus to find out the expectations of the instructor and the grading standards. No permanent record of midterm grades is kept.

What is DISCOVER 101 (DSC 101)?
DSC 101 is a 3-credit freshman seminar that provides the foundation for a new approach to undergraduate education – an emphasis on active learning, student engagement, inquiry, and research. Each section of DSC 101 focuses on a different topic and is taught by a faculty member with assistance from a student peer mentor. Learn more about DSC 101.

Does Marymount require class attendance?
The University expects all students to attend class regularly, but a specific class attendance policy is at the discretion of each instructor. Attendance policies are outlined by the instructor in the course syllabus. In cases of severe illness, hospitalization, family emergencies, or a death in the family, students should contact the Office of Student Development for assistance in notifying instructors.

What is a minor and how does a student declare one?
Minors generally require between 15 and 21 credits, and students must file the appropriate form with the School offering the selected minor.

What is the internship requirement at Marymount?
All undergraduates are required to complete an internship or other approved form of experiential learning to meet the graduation requirements, and many students complete this requirement the summer before or during their senior year. More information about the internship or experiential learning requirement can be found through the academic department. The Center for Career Services is another resource for assistance in the internship search.

My student tells me he/she can’t register for classes because of a hold. What is that?
Often, when a student attempts to register for classes and is not able to, the reason is a registration hold. Holds are given for various reasons, including financial (owing the University money, including parking and library fines) or health matters (not having proper medical forms turned in). In addition, the student is required to meet with his or her academic advisor before registration to review course selections. When the student completes this required meeting each semester, his or her academic advisor will remove the academic registration hold. A student can find out what office assigned the hold through the Registrar’s Office. Then, the student can contact the originator for more information.

What is Blackboard?
Blackboard is the online system that supports the academic side of the University. Most courses have a Blackboard site, where instructors post assignments, class information, and other supplemental material. Each student will get a Blackboard log-in and should utilize the system frequently to keep up with course requirements.

How does my student find out information about his/her courses?
Each instructor will provide students with a syllabus, which outlines the course requirements and expectations. A course syllabus usually includes assignments, grading information, the attendance policy, instructor contact information and availability, and required course materials.

What about transfer, AP, or CLEP credit?
Evidence of college credit, including transcripts for actual courses, CLEP scores, or AP credit, acquired before a student enters Marymount University should be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. After entry to Marymount, students wishing to take courses for credit at another institution should contact the Registrar’s Office or their School office to complete the proper forms. Once a student has started taking classes at Marymount, a maximum of 2 courses (up to 8 credits) may be transferred from another institution. Transfer credit acceptance is at the discretion of Marymount University; therefore, it is always wise to check before enrolling elsewhere.

What is Continuous Registration?
Sometimes life situations occur that may require a student to not enroll in classes at the University for one or more semesters. In order to avoid the need to reapply to Marymount, students should complete a Continuous Registration Form. More information is available through the Office of Admissions. The form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. Continuous Registration may be maintained for a maximum of two consecutive semesters, not including a summer semester.

What is the Consortium?
Marymount is a member of the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area, which allows Marymount students to utilize Consortium members’ libraries and take courses at the other institutions. Deadlines for course registration at the other institutions for each term are early, so it is important to consult the Registrar’s Office for more information.