Home >  News and Events >  News Details  

News and Events

Men's Lacrosse Loses to #1 Salisbury

Thursday, April 15, 2010
The Saints knew if they had a chance to upset #1 Salisbury they would need to play a near-perfect game and for the first 8:15 seconds, they shutout the Sea Gulls while scoring two goals of their own. But in the last 6:45 of the period, SU scored five goals and led 5-3 after the first 15 minutes enroute to a 22-7 Capital Athletic Conference win under the lights.

Colin Stuart hit the first goal of the game for the Saints just over one minute into the first quarter. Jeff Cook followed with a score 43 seconds later. After two Salisbury goals that tied the score at 2-2 with 5:13 to go, Austin Griffie put MU up 3-2 with 3:44 to go.

That lead lasted for 37 seconds when SU tied the game at 3-3. With 47 seconds left in the first quarter, the Sea Gulls took their first lead of the game and one they would not relinquish. Salisbury scored the last three goals of the opening period and then the first five of the second period. The Marymount goal by Drew Phillips with 1:57 prior to half-time broke up the SU run.

But SU put together another run of 12 consecutive goals to put the game out of reach for Marymount.

SU's Matt Cannone led all scorers with four goals and three assists. Mike Von Kamecke added four goals and two assists. Johnny Rodriguez had the win in goal, allowing four goals and recorded 11 saves in nearly 45 minutes of play. SU remains perfect on the year, improving to 16-0, 7-0.

Colin Stuart led the Saints with two goals and an assist. Jeff Cook added one goal and one assist. Ross Fernandez was in goal for 35 minutes, allowing 14 goals and netting 10 saves. Marc Scanlon had six saves and gave up six goals in 14 minutes of play while Joe Gagliardi recorded two save and allowed two goals in 10+ minutes.

The loss ended the Saints' season as they were not among the top six team in the conference which qualified for the CAC tournament. MU finished with a record of 4-11, 1-6.