All full-time faculty and staff with one year of service are eligible for Short-Term Disability (STD) through UNUM at no cost.
Short-Term Disability (STD) insurance provides income continuation while an employee is unable to work due to injury or illness.
How it works:
- If you are an eligible employee and need to apply for STD, please call MU’s Benefits Manager at (703) 526-6880.
- The Benefits Manager will walk you through the process and help you initiate your claim.
- For staff, there is a two-week waiting period before STD benefits begin. For faculty, there is a four-week waiting period.
- During the waiting period, staff can use their sick or annual leave in order to continue receiving pay. Faculty can take advantage of the paid-leave-for-illness-and-maternity benefit.
- After the waiting period, the benefit will pay you one hundred percent (100%) of your base salary while you are out on approved STD.
- The short-term disability period is 180 days from the first day of your approved disability.
All full-time faculty and staff with one year of service are eligible for Long-Term Disability (LTD) through UNUM at no cost.
UNUM Long-Term Disability insurance provides income continuation while an employee is unable to work for an extended period of time due to an illness or injury. This way members will be able to continue to pay bills and can focus on getting well.
Since both the STD and the LTD are with UNUM insurance, your claim manager can make the coverage transition go smoothly so there is no interruption in your benefits and you begin to receive two-thirds (66-2/3%) of your base salary.
If you are approved for LTD, you will be transferred into the Long-Term Disability program after 180 days of Short-Term Disability. For more detailed information on the Long-Term Disability plan or its eligibility requirements, contact the Benefits Manager at (703) 526-6880.
Please contact the Benefits Manager at 703-526-6880 for additional information.