Home >  Academics >  Programs of Study >  Pastoral Counseling >  Clinical Experiences & Careers  


Clinical Experiences & Careers

Clinical Experiences
In addition to the rigor of classroom learning, you will be required to complete two clinical experiences before you graduate from the Community Counseling program: the practicum and internship. The practicum is a one-semester, 180-hour on-site placement in which you develop basic counseling skills and integrate classroom knowledge into your counseling practice.

The internship is a two-semester, 600-hour placement in which you will grow professionally, expanding your clinical skills in both individual and group settings.

Students will demonstrate their understanding, application, and growth in nine competencies as outlined by ASERVIC. These competencies provide a guide to the knowledge base and skills required of counselors to effectively engage clients in the exploration of their spiritual and/or religious lives, which may be a factor in the client’s psychological crisis/concerns.

The practicum and internship are completed at a wide variety of agencies including private practice, outpatient treatment programs, intensive outpatient programs, residential treatment, inpatient hospital settings, crisis counseling, and community agencies. Some of these agencies have included
  • Virginia Hospital Center
  • Benedictine Counseling Services
  • Pastoral Counseling and Consultation Center of Greater Washington
  • Ephesians Life Ministries

The goal of Marymount’s Community Counseling program is to prepare you for a job as a counselor in a community agency. Marymount graduates have gone on to roles such as

  • Hospital chaplain
  • Family, group, and individual counselor
  • Counselors working with emotionally disturbed/learning disabled youth
  • Private practice counselor
  • Couples counselor
  • Prison fellowship
Some MU students go on to doctoral work, and Marymount's program offers an excellent foundation and preparation for advanced study.

Becoming licensed or certified as a counselor is a goal of many of our graduates. There are several different credentials you can obtain.

Many of our students take advantage of becoming a Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC). Because of the University’s CACREP-accredited status, Marymount is able to offer the NCE or National Counselor’s Examination twice a year to students towards the end of their program. The NCC does NOT mean you can practice independently in any state.
The Counselor Preparation Comprehensive Examination (CPCE) is administered to students in the first semester of their internship. This exam follows the format of the NCE very closely. Using it allows the faculty to gain an objective view of the knowledge level of students in the program and allows you to gauge your strengths and weaknesses as you prepare for the exam. You can learn more about the NCE and the NCC by visiting the NBCC Web site.

Most MU Community Counseling students also want to obtain state licensure. Licensing requirements vary from state to state. To find out the requirements for any state, go to the NBCC Web site.

The licensure track of the Pastoral Counseling program meets the academic requirements for licensure in Virginia, Maryland, and DC. For students interested in working in the substance abuse field, the state of Virginia now offers licensure as a Substance Abuse Treatment Practitioner (LSATP). The Virginia Board of Professional Counselors makes a final determination on applications for licensure. For more information about licensure in the District of Columbia, go to the DC Department of Health site. For more information about licensure in Maryland, go to Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene site.