Many courses require field experience. See course descriptions for details.
(ED 502 and ED 503 are required as the first courses in this program, as they provide the foundation for all other courses.)
- ED 502 Foundations of Education*
- ED 503 Curriculum: Theory and Practice*
- ED 508 Special Education and the Exceptional Learner*
- ED 516 Adolescent Psychology*
- ED 526 Cross-cultural/International Curricula or ED 565 Cross-cultural Education and the Language Arts
- ED 537 Reading Across the Curriculum: Secondary*
- ED 538 Secondary Teaching Methods*
- ED 550 Research Methods
- ED 552 Effective Classroom Management*
- ED 554 Computers and Technology in the Classroom*
- ED 568 Teaching English and Social Studies in Middle/ Secondary School* or ED 569 Teaching Science, Mathematics, and Computer Science in Middle/Secondary School*
- ED 570B Student Teaching: Secondary*
*Students in the Secondary Education program who are solely interested in licensure may apply for a Virginia teaching license after successfully completing all of these courses.