Marymount University

Graduate Catalog 2012-13

Financial Information

The following financial information applies to the 2012 -13 academic year.


Graduate Student Rate

  • $810 per credit hour for fall, spring, and summer semester classes (full or part time). Full-time graduate students carry a minimum of 9 credit hours per semester. Part-time students carry fewer than 9 credit hours.

Education Cohort Program at Reston Center

  • Available at a reduced tuition rate. Please contact Graduate Admissions for further information.

Physical Therapy Program

  • $31,400 per year, for those entering in fall 2012 (Class of 2015), for a total of $94,200 for the three-year program. This sum includes all PT courses, lab fees, immunization certification, and summer courses.

Consortium Tuition

Payment for consortium credits is due at the time of registration. Marymount consortium students pay the Marymount tuition rate to the Marymount Student Accounts Office. Credits taken through the consortium are counted toward full-time/part-time status at Marymount for the purposes of financial aid. All applicable fees are to be paid by the student to the visited institution.

Refunds and credits to accounts for consortium courses follow the Marymount refund schedule.

Tuition Payment

Due Dates

Fall Semester

August 1, 2012

Spring Semester

January 4, 2013

Summer Sessions I and III

May 13, 2013

Summer Session II

June 24, 2013

Monthly late payment fees of $75 will be assessed to all delinquent accounts. All payments must be made in U.S. currency and drawn on U.S. banks. Marymount University accepts cash, checks, money orders, credit cards (American Express, MasterCard or Visa only; credit card payments can be made online through Marynet), and ACH (Automated Clearing House) electronic transfers. Do not mail cash. Checks and money orders must be made payable to Marymount University. All checks and money orders must include the student’s ID number, address, and phone number on the face of the check. All returned checks are subject to a $55 service fee.

If, for any reason, a parent, a guardian, an employer, or an embassy does not honor their financial obligation to the University on behalf of the student, the student will be held responsible for those financial obligations.

A student’s pending class registration is subject to cancellation if there is a prior-term unpaid balance on the student’s account.

In the event a student has a question about charges on his or her account, the student should bring the amount in question to the attention of the Student Accounts Office. The student does not have to pay that amount while it is being reviewed. However, the student is obligated to pay all parts of the bill that are not in question no later than the due date.

Address Changes

It is each student’s responsibility to keep the Registrar’s Office informed about any changes in his or her home, local residence and/or billing address; phone number; and/or email address. Students may submit a change in one of these ways:

  • online using the form available on the Registrar’s Office website (visit, search Registrar)
  • by email to
  • by mail to Marymount University, Office of the Registrar, 2807 N. Glebe Road, Arlington, VA 22207
  • by fax to (703) 516-4505.

When submitting the change by email, mail, or fax, the student should include his/her full name; student ID number; the former address; the new address for home, local residence, and billing purposes; a current email address; and his/her signature.


Catholic School Employees

Employees of Catholic schools specified by the University are eligible for a 50 percent tuition waiver on the regular rate for undergraduate and graduate Education programs and the graduate School Counseling program (waiver does not apply to reduced-tuition programs) under the following conditions:

  • The individual must be employed on a full-time basis in a position in teaching, senior administration, and/or school counseling.
  • The individual must be employed by a diocesan school in the Diocese of Arlington, Virginia, or Archdiocese of Washington, DC. To learn about other Catholic schools specified for eligibility under this program, contact the School of Education and Human Services.
  • Requests for additional courses and/or programs covered under this waiver after the first degree is obtained will be considered on an individual basis.
  • Verification from the employee’s school, written by the principal on school letterhead, attesting to the eligibility for a waiver must be provided at the beginning of the program and each year thereafter at the beginning of the fall semester. This verification must be sent to Marymount’s Student Accounts Office.

See the Undergraduate Catalog for details about this policy regarding the University’s undergraduate programs.

Senior Citizens

As a service to senior citizens, the University offers to persons 65 years or older a 50 percent tuition waiver for undergraduate and graduate courses. Applicants must first meet all regular admission criteria for either degree candidacy or nondegree status.


Room and Board

  • Housing options, information, and rates available through the Office of Campus and Residential Services and online. Visit "Living on Campus" under "Student Life" on the Marymount website.
  • Meal plan options are available for an additional charge.
  • Health service privileges and student health insurance are included in the fee for room and board and cannot be waived.
  • Additional information about University-sponsored off-campus housing is available through the Office of Campus and Residential Services.

Commuter Meal Plans

For information regarding commuter meal plans, contact the Office of Campus and Residential Services at (703) 284-1608 or visit

New Student Fee

A one-time $190 new student fee is charged to all graduate students. It covers such items as student ID cards, new student programs, standard transcript requests, graduation fees (except late petition fees), and continuous and late registration fees.

Technology Fee

Students will be assessed a Technology Fee each fall, spring, and summer semester of $8.25 per credit up to a maximum of $99 per semester. This fee supports technologies that enrich the learning environment. The following are some examples of services and initiatives funded by this fee: computer labs, updates to the Blackboard course management system, expanded on-campus wireless access, and help desk services. In addition, some courses require that students purchase stand-alone computer software and/or textbook software packages.

Course/Program Fees


$105 per course

CE 510





$85 per course

CE 513




Counseling (Internship application)

$75 per course

CE 599C, 599P, 599S, 805




Criminal Justice

$75 per course

CJ 508, 509






ED 511




(Student-Teaching Application)


ED 570A, 570B, 570D, 570SE




Forensic Psychology
(Internship application)


PS 599F




Interior Design

$75 per course

ID 214, 485, 487, 512, 513, 580, 581, 582, 684, 685




Legal Administration/
Paralegal Studies


LA 591




Nursing Immunization Certificates

$20 per course

NU 553, NUF 502




Nursing Lab Fees


NU 553


NUF 502


NUF 503


NUF 504


Alumni Course Audit Fee

For a fee of $250 per course, Marymount alumni may audit up to two courses per semester, if the enrollment limit has not been reached during registration and approval has been granted by the associate dean. No credit or grade will be awarded for the course. Interested alumni should contact the Office of Alumni Relations.


New Resident Students

For graduate students entering in the fall semester, a $300 nonrefundable deposit is required by May 1 to reserve a place in University-sponsored housing. For students entering residence halls in the spring semester, a $300 nonrefundable deposit is required by November 1.

If housing is available after the deposit deadline, applicants must make the deposit within 15 days of acceptance.

The one-time $300 housing deposit, submitted with the Housing Application, will be rolled over from year to year until the resident leaves University housing. Unless the University approves or grants a deferral of the housing deposit, a student who chooses to decline or discontinue residence in University housing remains liable for the payment of the housing deposit in accordance with the housing contract.

Academic Program Deposits

A nonrefundable deposit is required from students in the following academic programs within 30 days of notification of acceptance, unless otherwise noted, in order to secure a place.

Counseling (all M.A. and Ed.D. programs)


Criminal Justice Administration and Policy


Education Cohort at Reston


Forensic Psychology


Interior Design


Nursing (D.N.P. program)


Nursing (M.S.N. program)


Physical Therapy, due within 3 weeks of



Marymount University offers all students enrolled for at least 9 credits the opportunity to participate in a 12-month (August-August) accident and sickness plan. Rates and terms are available at the beginning of each academic year. Resident students are automatically covered as part of their room and board fees and may not opt out.

Accident and health insurance is mandatory for all international students on nonimmigrant F-1 visas, NCAA student-athletes, cheerleaders, Physical Therapy students, and Nursing students enrolled in clinical programs. These students will be required to obtain the University-approved policy and will automatically be charged the insurance premium.

F-1 visa students and Nursing and Physical Therapy students who already have adequate medical insurance may waive the plan if they produce acceptable documentation of coverage in Virginia.

Please refer to the plan information, available at the beginning of the academic year, regarding enrollment dates. Marymount’s accident and health insurance plan is administered through the University’s Student Health Center.

Collection Policy

A student who fails to pay in full as scheduled will have his/her transcripts, registration, and diploma withheld until the outstanding balance is paid in full. The University will make every effort to contact the student and collect the outstanding balance. However, if the University’s attempts are unsuccessful, the account will be turned over to an agency for collection or to attorneys for litigation. The student will be responsible for all costs, including collection agency fees (331/3 percent on the assigned balance), attorney fees, and variable court costs.

Refunds and Credits to Student Accounts

Credit Balance Refunds

Credit balance refunds will be processed generally within 14 days of the receipt of a written request to the Student Accounts Office. The University does not issue refunds in cash; only check and credit card refunds are issued.

Credit for Tuition and Fee Charges

To be eligible to receive a credit for tuition and fee charges, a student must officially withdraw from a class or separate from the University. Credit for tuition and fee charges will be calculated based on the actual withdrawal or separation date.

Semester Courses

Class Dropped



Type of Credit

By end of week 1



Tuition and fees

By end of week 2



Tuition only

By end of week 3



Tuition only

After week 3




Weekend and Concentrated Courses

Class Dropped


Type of Credit

Up to 31 days before
class begins


Tuition and fees

30 days before class
begins through first day
of class


Tuition and fees

First day of class and



Class/University Withdrawal Policy

In order to receive a credit for tuition and fee charges in accordance with the advertised refund/withdrawal period, a student must officially withdraw from a class, even if someone other than the student registered him or her for the class. Failure to do so will constitute a financial obligation to the University because classroom seats reserved during registration continue to be held for a student until he or she officially withdraws from the class. Stopping payment on a tuition check or credit card authorization or not attending a class does not constitute an official withdrawal from class.

A student who received financial aid should check with the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing from any classes. Federal financial aid recipient refunds will be determined based on the federal pro-rata refund regulations. Information and examples of federal pro-rata refunds are available in the Financial Aid Office.

For procedural information, see Adding or Withdrawing from Courses/Separating from the University.

Withdrawal After Expiration of Tuition-and-Fee Credit Period

A student who withdraws from one or all classes after the tuition-and-fee credit period does not qualify for a refund. An exception to this policy may be made in extraordinary circumstances such as an illness or medical emergency that qualifies the student for a medical leave.

See Medical Leave Policy for further information or contact the Office of the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Credit for Commuter Meal Plan Charges

If a student requests a commuter meal plan and then decides not to use that plan, no credit will be given for its cost. Commuter meal plans expire at the end of each semester.

Payment Plans

A payment plan is available to qualifying students through TuitionPay. All arrangements, including the initial payment, must be completed at least one week prior to the payment due date. Students may set up pay plans on an annual basis for the academic year (fall and spring) or by the semester. Whether selecting either the annual or by-semester plan, payments are made as follows:

  • For the fall semester, payments may begin as early as July 1 and must be paid in full by November 1.
  • For the spring semester, payments may begin as early as December 1 and must be paid in full by April 1.
  • For the summer semester, contact TuitionPay for further information.

All or part of each semester’s costs may be budgeted with no interest rate assessed. A nonrefundable enrollment fee of $55 is required to apply for the annual plan. Individual semester plans require a nonrefundable enrollment fee of $35. Applications are available from TuitionPay at (800) 635-0120 or online at

Students who need further assistance may call the Student Accounts Office, (703) 284-1490.


Information on veterans’ benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs is available in the Office of the Registrar, (703) 284-1520.

Financial Aid

Financial aid is any grant, scholarship, loan, or paid employment offered for the express purpose of helping a student meet educationally related expenses. Various programs are available to Marymount graduate students to help finance their studies.

Types of Aid

Graduate Assistantships

A limited number of graduate assistantship positions are available for graduate students at Marymount University. Full-time graduate students are eligible for positions that require 20 hours of work per week in exchange for a waiver of tuition for 9 credits per semester and a small stipend. There are a limited number of part-time assistantships available for full-time graduate students as well.

The graduate assistant program is designed to meet several purposes. The student receives financial support for his or her graduate studies. In addition, the student benefits through a valuable professional experience that supplements and supports his or her program of study. The University also benefits, as it gains the services of a talented beginning professional, and offers a means for attracting and retaining highly talented students in its graduate programs.

For details and procedures to apply for graduate assistantships, contact the Office of Human Resource Services or visit


The Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG) Program
This grant is available to Virginia residents who are full-time students pursuing their first graduate degree in the field of health professions only. Eligible programs include Health Care Management, Health Promotion Management, Nursing, and Physical Therapy. The amount of the grant varies each academic year based on state funding. Applications, which are available from the Financial Aid Office, must be submitted annually by July 31. Late applications will be considered if funds are available. There is no requirement for repayment. This program is funded by the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Marymount participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, part of the post-9/11 GI bill which provides grants of $2,000 per year to eligible veterans pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) matches this amount with another $2,000. Eligibility requirements are available through the VA or Marymount’s Office of the Registrar.


Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan is for graduate students enrolled in a degree program on at least a half-time basis (6 credits per semester); it enables them to borrow an annual amount. The repayment period begins six months after the student leaves school. The student is responsible for the interest while in school. The Financial Aid Office provides information on obtaining the loan with Award Letter notification. Students must complete the financial aid application process by filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to qualify.

Students who plan to pay tuition through a Federal Direct Stafford Loan should apply for this loan in time for it to be processed before registration.

Application Procedure: Students seeking financial aid through the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan program should follow these steps to apply:

  1. Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available at The FAFSA must be completed by both new and currently enrolled graduate students for each year they seek financial aid. The information is analyzed and a report sent to the University on the estimated contribution expected from the family or the self-supporting student. Marymount’s federal school code is 003724.
  2. Financial aid applications must be submitted by March 1 for each academic year in which financial assistance is required.

Awards are offered when applications are complete and the student has been accepted for enrollment into a degree program.


Marymount has a number of need-based and merit scholarships funded by generous donors to the University. Students deserving consideration for such scholarships are typically identified by a School or department within the University. Such students are provided with criteria for the awarding of the scholarship as well as procedural information to apply for the award. Contact the Office of Graduate Admissions for further information about scholarships.

Student Employment

The University employs a large number of full-time students and pays them from its own resources. Students apply for jobs through the Student Employment Office.

Catalog Contents

Graduate Catalog 2012-13

General Information


Financial Information

Academic Support Services

Academic Information and Policies

Academic Opportunities

Graduate Programs

Course Descriptions

University Leadership

Notices to Students